Amber attempts to get her 143 AOS back.....

Ok, so for those of you that are patiently waiting to actually pay the AOS in the first place this may seem a long way off, but those 10 years can really fly by!

Back when I did this is 2009 the process was a lot different and all paper based, so I have had to keep the letter from Centrelink saying the bond was in place and the paperwork from Comm Bank with all the bond account information on it. Feeling pretty smug that I could lay my hands on all of this after 10 years and multiple house moves, one back to the UK last year!

Before leaving Australia last year I went into the Comm Bank to leave instructions for when the bond was to be released as I thought it might help and it's easier to do this sort of thing in person. How wrong I was.

The bond was due to cease on 19/5/19. So I left it 24 hours and sent in my request to Centrelink on the 20/5/19 with the 2 items of supporting evidence, the Comm Bank bond details and the original Centrelink letter. Pretty straightforward form, minimal information, lodged via myGov.au.

Knowing the goings on at Centrelink and the cuts in staff I was pleasantly surprised to receive the release letter within 48 hours! Very impressed.

Waited to see if the Comm Bank received their letter and then followed the instructions that had been placed on my account my a helpful young man in branch last June.

Nothing happened so on Monday 27/5/19 I rang the Comm Bank. It's a central number to a call centre and the lady said she couldn't do anything or see the account so gave me the email of the branch I spoke to last year. There is a town in Queensland with the same name so made sure she gave me the Victorian branch. Sent an email.

Next day got an email back saying that they were in Queensland and think I need to speak to the Victorian branch......😡. They helpfully cc'd Victoria in to this email.

Next day I get an email from Victoria saying that this is all very interesting but who am I and what am I talking about. I will point out the account number etc was in the email, it's clearly a 10year AOS account. Would I mind giving them a ring? Sure!

Next day after that Thursday 30/5/19, we are doing these conversations in 24 hour turnarounds due to the time difference, I call Australia. Nice lady, branch manager, really can't help as since the Royal Commissions and all she can't follow instructions on the account she has to speak to me? Am I returning to Australia at all? (Only if I have to come and bang some heads together!!!!) No, I say smiling, I am not.

So we establish I am who I say I am, even though the nice young man hadn't changed my Australian address in their system to a UK one despite it being requested and I now have to write a letter, sign it and post it to them with my new details, certified proof of ID and my instructions for where the money is to be paid to. I changed the account I had the interest paid into before I left and just want the money paid into that account so hopefully that will help reassure everyone, but it's not easy....

Then, once they have my new details they have to remain unchanged in the system for 14 days (?) Then there is a 31 day notice period for the bond to be released. 

I am off work this week so will get a colleague to certify my docs on Monday and then attach it to a carrier pigeon and send it to Victoria along with my letter.

So if I am lucky I may have this money back by the end of July.

I'll keep you posted. Really thought Centrelink would be the sticking point but no they were on the ball. Comm Bank who I purposely went into the branch with all the ID and got it all changed and arranged in person because I thought that would help, not so good.

Lessons here;

keep all your original docs, you'll likely need them

keep Comm Bank up to date with any house moves

keep Centrelink up to date as they posted a letter to my Mum as well to let her know she can apply for emergency funds at will now she is free form the shackles of the AOS! 🤑

This was very therapeutic!

Edited by Amber Snowball
spelling
  • Like 4

Not sure if this is helping anyone else but it’s helping me, so next instalment.......

I have had my docs certified and have sent them tracked to Commbank. Still in the air at the moment.

Commbank couldn’t find their letter from Centrelink either at the branch I lodged it or at the branch I’m in contact with.

I have managed, after multiple attempts from the other side of the world , to speak to Centrelink and get another letter sent to Commbank.

Centrelink sent the letter to Commbank in Collins Street in Melbourne, not the branch I opened it apparently.

Lessons here;

Centrelink seem to deal with a head office type branch or maybe the AOS stuff is centralised? Branch managers don’t seem to know about it if it is.

Ring Centrelink as the clock hits 8am. Only had to wait a couple of minutes. When they are really busy the automated system just hangs up on you!

Manager at the branch of Commbank where I lived prior to leaving Australia is being very helpful.

Good luck.  One person on the ground to help will make a difference.

I have had similar problems with international banks, who’s response is often just pop in and it can be sorted in person, yeah right they have my address they know I live on the other side of the world.  What’s the point of on line banking that doesn’t accommodate foreign details.

After several attempts I got a man who said “OK so I can see you have called a few times and don’t seem to be making progress.  How about I apply some common sense to this process?”........ if I could I would have hugged him!  He just said the system wasn’t set up to deal with it and the computer said no.  He just got someone to override it and did a manual transfer.  Thing is the lines are staffed by people that just follow a script, and can only do certain transactions that the system allows.  He was obviously a problem solver and far too bright for that job.  I did give him great feedback. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My letter to the Commonwealth arrived on Friday but bank didn’t find it until Monday. They are happy with the ID information.

Centrelink have resent my letter to the Commonwealth but have used the wrong postcode so neither have been delivered. They have resent another letter. 

Once received the Commbank will start the 31 days of notice to withdraw.

I’m hopeful of getting my bond back by the end of July.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...