What is the reason preventing visa grant from the Department of Home Affairs after you already received State Nomination?

Hi all,

Just asking for a knowledge in here. I know that State nomination does not guarantee a visa grant from the Department of Home Affairs.

Has anyone in here got visa refusal from DHA after been nominated by the State?

What happened? 

And how to prevent this happening?

Thank you so much.

Lots of potential reasons.

Overclaiming points. Similarly, claiming points for English when not haven done the required tests prior to the eoi.

Failure to obtain a skills assessment prior to eoi

Fail medical

Fail character 

The best way to prevent. Use a registered migration agent.

7 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Lots of potential reasons.

Overclaiming points. Similarly, claiming points for English when not haven done the required tests prior to the eoi.

Failure to obtain a skills assessment prior to eoi

Fail medical

Fail character 

The best way to prevent. Use a registered migration agent.

I agree with all the aspects mentioned by you, except for the last one.

Using a registered migration agent does not prevent or eliminate the possibility of errors in any way. It's definitely not the best way. There are some great migration agents out there, no offence to them but I've spoken to a number of incompetent MARA agents that have come up to me with ridiculously hideous advice, I wonder how they managed to even get accredited.

The best way to prevent any visa calamity is by doing your own vigilant research. Now I understand, not everyone has the IQ to properly do their own research but this is the one and only best and guaranteed way to prevent any possible setback.

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks @VERYSTORMY for the answer.

I completely think that State would screen the genuine of documents prior before giving the nomination, as they are the one who pick people from EOI based on the points claimed.

Aren't they suppose to make sure those points claimed for English, Experience,... have met the requirement before nominate someone?

(Sorry for being naive here as I have never use agent. I'm doing everything by myself,,,,)

15 hours ago, RandoMigrant said:

I agree with all the aspects mentioned by you, except for the last one.

Using a registered migration agent does not prevent or eliminate the possibility of errors in any way. It's definitely not the best way. There are some great migration agents out there, no offence to them but I've spoken to a number of incompetent MARA agents that have come up to me with ridiculously hideous advice, I wonder how they managed to even get accredited.

The best way to prevent any visa calamity is by doing your own vigilant research. Now I understand, not everyone has the IQ to properly do their own research but this is the one and only best and guaranteed way to prevent any possible setback.

Let me put it like this. In a average 12 month period, the Australian government, the minister and the department will make over 2000 changes to migration law, rules and regulations. Out of that, the department will maybe publish ten on its web site. 

It is not unusual for its website to be totally wrong. It is also very common for the department to give incorrect information and over my years I have come across masses of people who have caused themselves massive issues because of this. 

At the same time, the department has a legal indemnity for this. In other words, you can rely on their information, apply for a visa, get refused. There is nothing you can do about that. You can of course complain, at which point the department will simply point out that you should have consulted a registered migration agent. 

16 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Let me put it like this. In a average 12 month period, the Australian government, the minister and the department will make over 2000 changes to migration law, rules and regulations. Out of that, the department will maybe publish ten on its web site.

It is not unusual for its website to be totally wrong. It is also very common for the department to give incorrect information and over my years I have come across masses of people who have caused themselves massive issues because of this. 

At the same time, the department has a legal indemnity for this. In other words, you can rely on their information, apply for a visa, get refused. There is nothing you can do about that. You can of course complain, at which point the department will simply point out that you should have consulted a registered migration agent  

So true, they suck! Zero transparency. And don't bother calling them, they are even more wrong on the phone than on the web. I called once and ended the call feeling like they called me for help navigating their own website. I think the lady I talked to was very grateful for my assistance.

Problem is, if you end up with one of the crappy mig agents, you are equally screwed, you just wasted extra money. Outside of going through an employer with an established positive ongoing relationship with an agent, it's a crapshoot with little accountability. Though if you seek and pay for a consultation with 4 different agents, 2 will likely stand out as obviously crap, giving you better odds between the other 2.

So if you DiY, govt says, 'should have gotten a mig agent'. If you get mig agent and they mess up, govt say, 'sorry, it happens'.

• Like 1