Please help! Can't decide where to live.

JamesLee7158

Dear all,

Please help! I am from Malaysia and hope to migrate to Tasmania next year. I can't decide where to live in Tassie! Hobart is just too costly to buy a property. I prefer a more peaceful and slow life. Can anyone suggest any smaller towns nearby Hobart or Launceston for this purpose?

I also wish to operate a small business there? Any suggestion?

Thank you. I really hope to have your inputs>

James.

I like the areas south of Hobart - known as "the Channel" and the Huon Valley.  But prices have risen along with Hobart in the last few years so I don't know if it will be much cheaper.  In the other direction you could  look at Dodges Ferry, Brighton or New Norfolk.   However the viability of operating a small business in those areas is quite another matter.

I don't know the real estate market in Launceston well but if you search for 'Greater Launceston" in https://www.realestate.com.au/buy  you will find properties in smaller towns such as Longford or George Town.  

Hello Toots and Skani,

Many thanks for your replies! Are the people in smaller towns friendly and warm towards Asians? I often have soft spots for small towns but are worried about the residents attitudes towards outsiders. 

Is it really hard to operate a small business like a convenience stall in these towns?  

I will be visiting Tasmania in June and hope to find out more. 

Any comments are most welcomed.

Regards.

Many of the small towns already have a small convenience store.  Asians will be as welcome as anyone else.  Some of the residents in those smaller towns can be a bit parochial - towards anybody no matter where they come from.  Here is a small article about a Chinese family who own a very popular restaurant in a small town.  I live in a larger town and we have convenience stores as well as large supermarkets.  There are restaurants owned and run by Chinese and Indian families who are all part  of the community.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-27/paddock-to-plate-with-a-chinese-twist/9087686

Is it really hard to operate a small business like a convenience stall in these towns?  

Do you mean a convenience store?   Stalls don't really exist in Tasmania as permanent businesses - only in once a week markets or attached to an existing business eg. a sales outlet for an orchard.

There are many rules and regulations for starting any business in Tasmania - federal, state and local council.  Part 2 of this website details many of these state and federal ones.  You would also have to comply with regulations of the local Council area in which operate. 

https://www.business.tas.gov.au/starting-a-business/tools-and-checklists/fact-sheet-start-a-business-checklist

I doubt it would be easy to make a good living from a convenience store.  Most people have private cars so drive  for their main supermarket shopping and the petrol stations in country areas often include a convenience store.

Edited by Skani

5 minutes ago, Skani said:

Do you mean a convenience store?   Stalls don't really exist in Tasmania as permanent businesses - only in once a week markets or attached to an existing business eg. a sales outlet for an orchard.

There are many rules and regulations for starting any business in Tasmania - federal, state and local council.  Part 2 of this website details many of these state and federal ones.  You would also have to comply with regulations of the local Council area in which operate. 

https://www.business.tas.gov.au/starting-a-business/tools-and-checklists/fact-sheet-start-a-business-checklist

I doubt it would be easy to make a good living from a convenience store.  Most people have private cars so drive  for their main supermarket shopping and the petrol stations in country areas often include a convenience store.

I agree with Skani.  If you do mean a stall rather than a store then even in large towns that would only apply to a stall in a market place once a week and if you mean a store then as Skani stated most people drive to a supermarket as their prices are better.  Too many small businesses go out of business unfortunately.  I've seen that happen in the town where I live.

You will get a far better feel of the place when you visit in June.

• Like 1

Dear Toots and Skani,

Again, your messages are so informative and I really appreciate your advice. My sincere apologies- what I meant was "convenience store". From your messages, operating a convenience store may not be a good idea. Any suggestions? I still have slightly more than a year to learn a new skill before coming to Tasmania. 

Thank you both very much for your inputs!

Regards, James