Financial Planning for Brisbane Move

Craig Colas

Hello,

Was just wondering if some of you can put our minds at rest. We are a family of 4 with two small children. One will be 3 the other 1 when we make the move. We are planning to sell our house and are currently going through the Visa process. My wife is a Nurse, are we are planning on heading to Brisbane.

We would have a minimum of £85,000 to bring with us including all our savings. Would have paid for visa's etc.. before hand. She may be able to find work relatively quickly but may be a bit more difficult for myself at least for a few months. Do you think that is a suitable budget to be able to make the move, get a car and get up and running. We would also look to try and buy a house as soon as feasible.

If it was just the two of us we usually wouldn't be asking but seeing as we now have two children there is a lot more risk and want to be quite safe and secure for a short while at least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

I might be inclined not to buy initially.  This should give you a bit of financial flexibility, particularly if it doesn’t work.

We’re heading out in July with a comparable budget and intend to rental for the first couple of years.

Trying to be sensible in terms of the big ticket items such as the car and choice of long term rental.  I expect to be paying more for rental, though factoring in location, I think this is fair value vs the UK.  At least you can switch rentals reasonably easily if it proves not to be in line with your budget.

Good luck!

Regards

BFB

Not 100% decided where we’ll end up.  Had a recent visit to Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.  Liked them all, though my personal preference was the Sunshine Coast.  Nothing set in stone yet, going to spend the first few weeks having a proper look around before making any firm decisions.

I hope all goes well for you.

Regards

BFB