Does being an Officer Cadet in the OTC equate to military service?

TooEasy

Hi ladies and germs,

I'm applying for a spouse visa off the back of my wife's 485 post-study visa and it says that a military service record is required.

My question is, would this be required if I was in the University Officer Training Corps as an Officer Cadet for three years in the UK? I have never been on active duty but did take the Oath of Allegiance and possibly had to sign some military acts or declarations of some sort (though I cannot remember as it was some time ago).

Anyone had any experience of this?

Thank you

TooEasy

Edited by TooEasy

This isn't an expert opinion by any means, but were you issued a military ID number (trust me you will know if you have) or an MOD90 ID card? From memory you wouldn't have been and I strongly doubt you are regarded as having any military service (even in the UK)

If the answer is no, then you don't have military service. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 18:19, VERYSTORMY said:

This isn't an expert opinion by any means, but were you issued a military ID number (trust me you will know if you have) or an MOD90 ID card? From memory you wouldn't have been and I strongly doubt you are regarded as having any military service (even in the UK)

If the answer is no, then you don't have military service. 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was issued with a military service number. I did receive pay and therefore had a JPA account. I don't recall having a MOD90 though I do know what that is.

I'm hearing mixed feedback on this and still not 100% sure. 

On 13/02/2019 at 15:05, TooEasy said:

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was issued with a military service number. I did receive pay and therefore had a JPA account. I don't recall having a MOD90 though I do know what that is.

I'm hearing mixed feedback on this and still not 100% sure. 

As is the case for American ROTC cadets, UOTC cadets are likewise not considered servicemembers, to my understanding. With that said, I would still list it, especially since your application will likely include questions about military training, which UOTC presumably provides. Best of luck.

• Like 1