Teacher - from Scotland

Chris86

Hoping someone can give me some clarification.

Looking at sending my AITSL documents over in the next few weeks to have my skills assessed.

Am i right in thinking that I need to send: 

1. Confirmation of observed practice - i.e. teaching placements

2. Copy of degree certificate and GTCS teaching certificate

3. Transcript from Uni.

4. A letter from my employer stating that I have been teaching and how long I have been employed with the Authority?

Can anyone advise how long it has taken them to have the skills assessment completed and what happens after that?  I'm reading that you need to be invited to apply for the visa?

Yes that’s pretty much it for AITSL. Certified copies of certs and transcripts  If the transcript  for PGCE doesn’t detail supervised teaching practice then get a letter from the uni stating the ages of kids you taught and how many days.

AITSL say 10 weeks but could be 12-14 depending on the mail service. My wife’s.cae back in 6 weeks so it can be quicker.

Once you have a positive skills assessment you open a skillselect account (expression of interest) and wait to be invited. The more points you have the quicker the invite. You would need around 75 for a reasonably quick invite.

The employment letter isn’t really needed for the skills assessment but AITSL will verify and give you statement of skilled employment which makes it easier to submit once invited. It needs to include specific information though so do check the website fully 

Hi Chris,

I'm a Secondary Teacher and from Scotland too.  I got my skills assessment back in November and I'm sure it took just under 8 weeks. 

I had to email my uni for a letter to confirm that I had completed at least 45 days supervised teaching. The criteria is on the AITLS website. I'm sure it also has to state the age range of the pupils too. I also needed a certified copy of my undergraduate degree, transcripts from my undergraduate and my PGDE certificate.

I didn't include a letter from my employer as I'm still in my probation year and can't claim any points for work experience. 

I found this post really helpful - https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/190498-189-visa-teacher-how-we-completed-the-visa-process-info-for-others/

Are you a primary or secondary teacher? How many points do you have? 

Hi Scott,

Cheers for that info. Might need to get back on to the Uni and get a wee bit more put in the letter.

I want to send the letter from my employer since I have 10 years with them and Faculty Head experience as well.

I am secondary.  What about you?  Looking like I have 75 points.

Have you started the visa application yet?

If you have 75 points, apply for 189. You should get it within 1 selection round. Don't take a 190 from one of us sad sub 70 pointers😭

Plan for AITSL to take 10 weeks. You'll be lucky if it's less than 8 weeks. You'll want to have the age range (integers) and days (integers) on your letter from Uni. You must have this letter before submitting an EOI. If it is dated after the EOI, you get rejected. Sadly you cannot 'assume' a positive outcome and get a head start.

Also get your English test asap, before the EOI. You need it to claim points. I recommend the Pearson, it's a breeze for native speakers with minimal prep. You can't get 8+ on the IELTS writing section without major prep, luck, or experience as a professional writer. Not kidding.

22 hours ago, Chris86 said:

Hi Scott,

Cheers for that info. Might need to get back on to the Uni and get a wee bit more put in the letter.

I want to send the letter from my employer since I have 10 years with them and Faculty Head experience as well.

I am secondary.  What about you?  Looking like I have 75 points.

Have you started the visa application yet?

If you are including points for English, you need to actually sit an English exam such as ilets. 

Tip. Do prepare for it. I have seen Brits with a PhD in English not get max points.