Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period (NARWP)

boo-yaa

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Looking for advice on the following:

https://www.dss.gov.au/living-in-australia-and-overseas/updates

Waiting times for new migrants to access certain Australian welfare payments have changed. Most migrants granted permanent residency from 1 January 2019 must wait up to four years before they can access certain welfare payments and concession cards. This period is called the Newly Arrived Resident’s Waiting Period (NARWP).

The length of the NARWP varies depending on payment type.

From 1 January 2019, it is:

• four years for working age payments (e.g. Newstart Allowance) and concession cards (e.g. the Low-Income Health Care Card)
  • two years for Carer Payment
  • two years for Parental Leave Pay and Dad and Partner Pay
  • one year for Carer Allowance, and
  • one year for Family Tax Benefit Part A, with no waiting period for Family Tax Benefit Part B.

Only people granted a permanent visa, or temporary partner visa, on or after 1 January 2019 are affected by the new waiting periods. Migrants granted a permanent visa before 1 January 2019 are not affected and are subject to the previous rules of a two year NARWP for certain payments.

Would this waiting period apply to someone who has lived in Australia for over 5 years on a 457 and has been granted PR after 01/01/19?

It seems to suggest that - however the Period is called the "Newly Arrived Residents Waiting Period" which seems to imply only newly arrived. Seems to contradict.

Anyone had any experience of this one?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, boo-yaa said:

Only people granted a permanent visa, or temporary partner visa, on or after 1 January 2019 are affected by the new waiting periods. Migrants granted a permanent visa before 1 January 2019 are not affected and are subject to the previous rules of a two year NARWP for certain payments.

I think this part should answer your question

You are not a migrant on a 457 visa.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ali said:

My understanding of what you have pasted is that if you are granted PR after 1/1/19 then you will be effected by the new waiting periods.  Your previous time in Aus was not as a permanent resident 

Thank you, that was also my understanding. Was just the newly arrived part that threw me off.