Calling on Health Visitors & Community Nursery Nurses

Becka

Good afternoon! 

I’m looking to talk to a HV or CNN that has made the move over to Oz! I am currently working for the NHS here in the uk as a CNN and have looked online to see if there is the equivalent to my job over in australia but can’t get a straight answer or the right info! Is there a CNN role over there or similar and is it advisable to do any additional training before making the move?

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Becka said:

Good afternoon! 

I’m looking to talk to a HV or CNN that has made the move over to Oz! I am currently working for the NHS here in the uk as a CNN and have looked online to see if there is the equivalent to my job over in australia but can’t get a straight answer or the right info! Is there a CNN role over there or similar and is it advisable to do any additional training before making the move?

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Hi, I am a health visitor and moved to Victoria 13 years ago. In Victoria I think you’re out of luck, they don’t recognise the health visitor qualification there and the system only funds 3(I think) standard universal contacts. You have to pay after that as far as I know. They have maternal and child health nurses in Victoria and they do that work. They cover the baby clinics as well as far as I know.

Now, local authorities or private sector do run parenting courses etc which may well utilise your skills. You could search the state government jobs website. But funding comes and goes a bit so some of those things may have disappeared.

Other states work differently so I am only looking at Victoria. Others may know differently as I worked as an adult nurse in Australia, I have left there now, but that is my understanding of the system in that state.

Not sure if that is any help. Good luck!

What state are you moving to? They all work differently.

Hi Amber,

thanks for your reply. We are looking to move to Queensland as my qualifications are recognised there so won’t need a skills assessment! I’m currently a qualified Nursery nurse but looking at other options

1 minute ago, Becka said:

Hi Amber,

thanks for your reply. We are looking to move to Queensland as my qualifications are recognised there so won’t need a skills assessment! I’m currently a qualified Nursery nurse but looking at other options

Ok. Sorry don’t know the system at all up there. Victoria is very snobby and protective over its maternal and child health service!

Might still be worth checking out what the government provides in terms of services. State governments are responsible for health so systems vary. Queensland has the child and family nurses I think so they might have nursery nurse type roles. Can’t help beyond that, sorry. Others might be along soon. I have seen the odd HV on the site who have moved over.

Good luck with the move!

10 hours ago, Becka said:

Hi Amber,

Do check out regarding the Skills assessment as you will need this to obtain a visa if you're the primary applicant.