Wheel chair friendly flights to Australia

Jojoe

We have a family member whom has  become wheel chair dependent and the main worry of flying from the U.K. to Australia Is getting to the toilet during a flight . We have other concerns also that they are taking up with professionals but one of the main concerns for the family member is how they would get to the toilet during a flight and wondering if anyone on here  has any experience of this or knows anyone that has . 

Have you contacted any of the airlines that fly the route you need. Start there then you can check reviews on trip advisor and on any disability sites. 

I know they have toilets with a wheelchair symbol on Emirates. And wheelchair users have boarded flights we have been on. I can’t say I have noticed anything whilst on board, but maybe that is a good thing and they are discrete about helping people. 

This might be helpful. https://wheelchairtravel.org/air-travel/wheelchair-accessible-lavatories/

Edited by rammygirl

Thankyou so much for your reply and the link you gave us  ,  Your time to comment is very much appreciated  and very useful.We are  now currently looking into contacting airlines.and so hoping that it won't be a constraint  but your link has given other options to consider so thankyou so much for that 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

I’m in a wheelchair. I haven’t done the UK to Oz flight since but have done the Oz to USA and multiple domestic flights. I would definitely check with the airline. Virgin have the aisle wheelchairs on board, although I’ve never seen a disabled toilet they usually drop you off at the toilet door and it’s up to you to transfer on and off and toilet yourself.

I don’t know if your friend can catheterise this may be another option prior to boarding. Or wear pull ups although it’s no fun and uncomfortable for the remainder of the flight, but it may help as a just in case. 

‘Make sure you get them an aisle seat to make transfers easier.

Regarding taking a wheelchair to Australia with you. I know Virgin allow you to use your own wheelchair (manual) until the gate and then they take it off you and transfer you to an aisle wheelchair, it is then waiting for you when you get off the flight.

My electric mobility scooter needed to be checked in, they can then either wheel you down to the gate in one of their own or you can ask to borrow one and your companion can push you.

If I can help with anything else just ask, although as I say mine is limited to USA and AU Domestic

Guest The Pom Queen

Also, sorry, I suppose I should edit my post as I keep thinking of things. Although you board the aircraft first (even before parents with children)at the other end  you have to remain seated until everyone has disembarked. You then need to wait for them to bring you the wheelchair. Many times we have been waiting up to 20 - 30 minutes and even have had the plane cleaned and new staff on board before we have received assistance. If there are a couple of you I would recommend one guest disembarking with the other passengers and heading through to collect the luggage on to trollies. 

‘I must admit the first time we went away with my chair I was so stressed I nearly cancelled but it was absolutely fantastic service, plus you usually skip immigration queues and fast track at the other end. This was a god send in America and even though we had waited around 35 minutes to get off the plane, we were the first at the baggage carousel. 

‘Also for baggage/security screening your chair will be searched (underneath etc), they can do the stupid bomb check and you will be patted down. We left USA just after NYE in Vegas and my wheelchair tested positive for explosives on the wheels, so that held us up big time as they had to get me in a room to be searched more thoroughly, don’t worry though that is the only time it has happened.

18 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’m in a wheelchair. I haven’t done the UK to Oz flight since but have done the Oz to USA and multiple domestic flights. I would definitely check with the airline. Virgin have the aisle wheelchairs on board, although I’ve never seen a disabled toilet they usually drop you off at the toilet door and it’s up to you to transfer on and off and toilet yourself.

I don’t know if your friend can catheterise this may be another option prior to boarding. Or wear pull ups although it’s no fun and uncomfortable for the remainder of the flight, but it may help as a just in case. 

‘Make sure you get them an aisle seat to make transfers easier.

Regarding taking a wheelchair to Australia with you. I know Virgin allow you to use your own wheelchair (manual) until the gate and then they take it off you and transfer you to an aisle wheelchair, it is then waiting for you when you get off the flight.

My electric mobility scooter needed to be checked in, they can then either wheel you down to the gate in one of their own or you can ask to borrow one and your companion can push you.

If I can help with anything else just ask, although as I say mine is limited to USA and AU Domestic

Thankyou so much for your reply , it's been very valuable and provided many  options that we have not considered  . We really so appreciate your time to comment and to share tour advice 

• Like 1