189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

LawyerAbroad

hi

does anyone know if the law modules You study to be admitted as a lawyer in Australia count towards the Australian study requirement to gain more points on the application?

Like other I am assessing whether I should do the extra study and trying and get a visa as a solicitor as I’m only at 75 points and I know that isn’t enough at the moment. Any ideas on how to boost the points?

thanks 

On 06/09/2018 at 11:01, LawyerAbroad said:
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on the site. I've lurked in the background taking all your helpful advice and now I see an opportunity to put something back in. I'm a barrister in the UK and today I had the great news that my 189 application (and my partner's) has been granted. It's been quite a long haul. In fact, if there is a slower or more expensive way of getting a 189 visa I'd love to hear that story.

When I first considered applying for a 189 visa I really struggled to find anything other than generic information about the process of applying as a lawyer and no information at all about how much it might cost. So, if there is anyone who is a solicitor, a lawyer or barrister who is thinking about applying, I hope this (very) long list of hoops I've had to jump through leaves you more informed than I was going into the process.

Yes, it does mean re-qualifying. I got off pretty lightly having to do only 4 academic subjects and 2 practical subjects. Prepare a very thorough application for exemptions (I sent photocopies of the index to university text books, lecture handouts, etc that I found in my parents' loft to demonstrate the equivalence of the subjects I studied). This involves going back to university (it can be done by remote learning). Yes, that means lectures, tutorials, homework, coursework and exams. Yes, it does mean you will need to travel to Australia for a holiday to get admitted before you can even submit your Expression of Interest.

DON'T apply for conditional admission like I did. You won't get it and you'll have wasted your time and money. No, you don't need a Skills Assessment Letter. Your certificate of admission as a lawyer will suffice.

I've attached a spreadsheet showing the costs I've spent. In summary:

On further study: a little under £10,000
On the process of being admitted in Australia (excluding the study costs above): a bit over £4,000, although about £1,000 of the cost of flights was returning in Premium Economy.
On the fundamentals of making a visa application: over £5,000

Giving a grand total of: £19,078 over 2 years.

10.08.16 - Initial assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB received (Constitutional Law, Law of Associations, Legal Ethics, Practice & Procedure)
01.09.16 - Initial assessment of PLT (practical legal training) qualifications by LPAB received (One elective subject plus Commercial & Corporate Practice)
22.09.16 - Offered places on University of New England courses for academic subjects (distance learning)
05.10.16 - Applied for conditional admission as lawyer
24.10.16 - Started Corporations Law course
01.12.16 - Refused conditional admission by LPAB
20.02.17 - Started Constitutional Law course
23.05.17 - Constitutional Law exam
31.05.17 - Corporations Law exam
26.06.17 - Started Professional Conduct and Civil & Criminal Procedure courses.
13.08.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice PLT oral assessment (College of Law)
11.09.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice result
26.09.17 - Professional Conduct exam
27.09.17 - Civil & Criminal Procedure exam
20.10.17 - UNE academic results
10.11.17 - Final assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB
12.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT elective oral assessment (College of Law)
13.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT result
19.12.17 - Applied for unconditional admission as lawyer
06.02.18 - Application for admission approved by LPAB
23.03.18 - Admission ceremony in Sydney (Supreme Court of NSW)
05.04.18 - EOI submitted - Barrister ANZSCO 271111 (75 points)
08.04.18 - EOI updated
13.04.18 - Police checks requested
18.04.18 - Invited to apply for 189 visa
19.04.18 - Medicals booked
19.04.18 - Police checks prepared / dated
26.04.18 - Police checks received
09.05.18 - Medicals undertaken
16.05.18 - Medicals submitted to Australia by clinic
18.05.18 - Decision ready 189 application submitted
06.09.18 - Direct Grant

I hope you find this useful!

Australia Costs copy.xlsx

On 27/05/2020 at 22:54, Earlymegski said:

hi

does anyone know if the law modules You study to be admitted as a lawyer in Australia count towards the Australian study requirement to gain more points on the application?

Like other I am assessing whether I should do the extra study and trying and get a visa as a solicitor as I’m only at 75 points and I know that isn’t enough at the moment. Any ideas on how to boost the points?

thanks 

Hey, I don't know the answer to this but would be curious to know what you find out! My wife's trying to go through a similar process and considering converting her UK degree. If it adds points to the PR application, that would be a huge bonus.

Did you find anything out?

9 hours ago, Fizzy said:

Hey, I don't know the answer to this but would be curious to know what you find out! My wife's trying to go through a similar process and considering converting her UK degree. If it adds points to the PR application, that would be a huge bonus.

Did you find anything out?

Hi Fizzy, 

I don’t think we can sadly but I’m not 100% about this.

Good luck!

Megan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

One question in particular which I can't seem to find an answer to but may have missed is as follows:

Does anyone know whether a conditional admission as a foreign lawyer in an Australian High / Supreme Court, would constitute a suitable skills assessment for a 189 Visa?

Many thanks for a really helpful forum.

Greg.

• 1 year later...
On 06/09/2018 at 11:01, LawyerAbroad said:
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting on the site. I've lurked in the background taking all your helpful advice and now I see an opportunity to put something back in. I'm a barrister in the UK and today I had the great news that my 189 application (and my partner's) has been granted. It's been quite a long haul. In fact, if there is a slower or more expensive way of getting a 189 visa I'd love to hear that story.

When I first considered applying for a 189 visa I really struggled to find anything other than generic information about the process of applying as a lawyer and no information at all about how much it might cost. So, if there is anyone who is a solicitor, a lawyer or barrister who is thinking about applying, I hope this (very) long list of hoops I've had to jump through leaves you more informed than I was going into the process.

Yes, it does mean re-qualifying. I got off pretty lightly having to do only 4 academic subjects and 2 practical subjects. Prepare a very thorough application for exemptions (I sent photocopies of the index to university text books, lecture handouts, etc that I found in my parents' loft to demonstrate the equivalence of the subjects I studied). This involves going back to university (it can be done by remote learning). Yes, that means lectures, tutorials, homework, coursework and exams. Yes, it does mean you will need to travel to Australia for a holiday to get admitted before you can even submit your Expression of Interest.

DON'T apply for conditional admission like I did. You won't get it and you'll have wasted your time and money. No, you don't need a Skills Assessment Letter. Your certificate of admission as a lawyer will suffice.

I've attached a spreadsheet showing the costs I've spent. In summary:

On further study: a little under £10,000
On the process of being admitted in Australia (excluding the study costs above): a bit over £4,000, although about £1,000 of the cost of flights was returning in Premium Economy.
On the fundamentals of making a visa application: over £5,000

Giving a grand total of: £19,078 over 2 years.

10.08.16 - Initial assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB received (Constitutional Law, Law of Associations, Legal Ethics, Practice & Procedure)
01.09.16 - Initial assessment of PLT (practical legal training) qualifications by LPAB received (One elective subject plus Commercial & Corporate Practice)
22.09.16 - Offered places on University of New England courses for academic subjects (distance learning)
05.10.16 - Applied for conditional admission as lawyer
24.10.16 - Started Corporations Law course
01.12.16 - Refused conditional admission by LPAB
20.02.17 - Started Constitutional Law course
23.05.17 - Constitutional Law exam
31.05.17 - Corporations Law exam
26.06.17 - Started Professional Conduct and Civil & Criminal Procedure courses.
13.08.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice PLT oral assessment (College of Law)
11.09.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice result
26.09.17 - Professional Conduct exam
27.09.17 - Civil & Criminal Procedure exam
20.10.17 - UNE academic results
10.11.17 - Final assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB
12.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT elective oral assessment (College of Law)
13.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT result
19.12.17 - Applied for unconditional admission as lawyer
06.02.18 - Application for admission approved by LPAB
23.03.18 - Admission ceremony in Sydney (Supreme Court of NSW)
05.04.18 - EOI submitted - Barrister ANZSCO 271111 (75 points)
08.04.18 - EOI updated
13.04.18 - Police checks requested
18.04.18 - Invited to apply for 189 visa
19.04.18 - Medicals booked
19.04.18 - Police checks prepared / dated
26.04.18 - Police checks received
09.05.18 - Medicals undertaken
16.05.18 - Medicals submitted to Australia by clinic
18.05.18 - Decision ready 189 application submitted
06.09.18 - Direct Grant

I hope you find this useful!

Australia Costs copy.xlsx

I cannot begin to explain how helpful this is. I have a few questions for you if you could answer them! I am a recent law grad and about to start my PLT (online as I am still in the UK) at Leo Cussens. Could I drop you a private message please? Or could you privately message me? I haven't figure out yet how to work this forum, haha

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the UK-AUS FTA which introduced a Legal Services Regulatory Dialogue to explore the possibility of mutual recognition? (i.e. being admitted without having to undergo any academic of PLT requirements) How likely do you think it is that mutual recognition will become functional?