Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

16 Neutral

About LawyerAbroad

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Brilliant. Congrats on getting it all together. It's an effort! I didn't use any particular email, just the online portal for submission of questions ... https://www.une.edu.au/askune
  2. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Hope it goes well for you. Don't forget to update on how it works out! PS. Also might be worth contacting your university and they may be able to provide you with the tutorial schedule and reading lists from when you were at university. My university couldn't help, but I was able to get a subject list from BVC provider, which was useful for PLT exemption.
  3. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Hi KC24, Really glad this post was of some interest / use to you. So I broke the subjects down into two categories. 1) Those I could try to get exemption from based on my university studies. 2) Those I could try to get exemption from based on being a practising barrister (that included trust accounting). For items in (1), I put together as much as I could. For example, I studied the Law of Evidence at university. I went to my parents' attic and found my old text book (photocopied the Contents pages), found all my old lecture /tutorial handouts and put them into a file. In my submission I explained how what I studied was very similar / identical to Evidence in Aus. And I did that for every subject that I was looking for exemption for. I remember doing the same for Administrative Law and the other subjects. For items in (2), I wrote quite a lengthy piece for each item. For example, for trust accounting I explained that I am Direct Access qualified (I sent over the lever arch of study material for that course). I explained, making reference to the course material, how I understood the restrictions on dealing with client money, etc etc and how I deployed that in practice. I used the University of New England. They are very quick at responding to online queries and will provide individual course quotes. The university was very easy to deal with overall and I would recommend it. Don't forget about the (not insignificant) cost of buying textbooks and shipping them over. I used the UNE book shop. So I did continue to work. I had the luxury of being self-employed, which meant I could take the days off for the 3 hour exams, which I took at the University of Leeds. All the exams were open book, which took some of the pressure of revision, but I still prepared crib sheets with key cases, etc so I wasn't wading through my course notes or text book. The study during the term was intense. Its an 11 week course (I think) for each subject. You have your 3 hour exam during week 12. So if you get behind with the work you end up in a bad place! Every week involves at least 100 pages plus of text book reading across two textbooks, usually. In addition there is a 2-3 hour lecture to watch AND a 1 hour tutorial. That is all per 1 subject. I studied over 2 semesters and did 2 subjects in both semesters. So that was 200 pages, 2 letters, etc. In week 5 (again I think) there is a 2,500 word coursework per subject to complete that is usually 30-40% of your final grade. Is that any help?
  4. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Hi, so yes the first step is to get your qualifications assessed by one of the State Legal Admissions Board. Whether you would have the same number of courses as me, just comes down to what they say. I had to do four academic and two practical legal training, which I know is fewer than most people. This isn't a quick process and there is always the risk you will start cross-qualifying, only to find that Barrister / Solicitor is taken off the list! It has been flagged for removal in years past. Good luck
  5. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Hi selfhelp My profuse apologies for my tardy reply. I haven't been on the site for a while! About to DM you. Kind regards
  6. LawyerAbroad

    Solicitor applying for VISA 189. Skills assessment

    Congratulations. It's a real slog. Well worth it in the end. Do you have an admission date in mind?
  7. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Oh I see. Excuse my misunderstanding, from what you said I thought you were speaking from experience. Unfortunately, as I discovered, its a misconception on this forum that simply being experienced or having done 'X' number of years as a lawyer gets you out of doing any further study as you suggest. There are 11 academic ('Priestley') subjects and 8 Practical Subjects. All applicants for admission must evidence that their overseas study or practice has equivalence (particularised explicitly) to each and every element of the subject. That means you could have been a lawyer for 40 years, but if you never studied or practised Corporations Law (like me) or Australian Constitutional Law (like me) then you will have to undertake that further study. Frustrating and expensive! Attached are the Uniform Principles, which set it all out and which I found very helpful. Hope that helps. Uniform Principles for assessing Overseas Qualifications - with LPAB deletions on 17-03-2016.pdf
  8. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Oh no, that would be frustrating! Sadly, I'm no spring chicken any more, with 10 years at the Bar. From my research, I was quite fortunate in having to do just 4 academic subjects. How many did you have to do? When did you do your re-qualification / further exams? There's obviously the course fees, purchase/importation of textbooks (they can't be purchased in the UK) and the fees for overseas exams. I hoped to leave a resource in the forum for future cross-qualifiers / lawyers who want to migrate, having done very extensive research on the most affordable options for further study. Would you be able to post where you found cheaper so they can be steered to what you saw and not just what I did? Ta!
  9. LawyerAbroad

    189 Visa Application - Lawyer, Barrister, Solicitor

    Thank you. Not got round to thinking about any of that!! Not even on the radar! My partner and I heading down in March to check-in the visas. Stops in NSW and VIC. I've been to Brisbane and Perth before, loved both, but expect I'm on a short leash the two main cities. Thanks again.
  10. Hi guys, This is my first time posting on the site. I've lurked in the background taking all your helpful advice and now I see an opportunity to put something back in. I'm a barrister in the UK and today I had the great news that my 189 application (and my partner's) has been granted. It's been quite a long haul. In fact, if there is a slower or more expensive way of getting a 189 visa I'd love to hear that story. When I first considered applying for a 189 visa I really struggled to find anything other than generic information about the process of applying as a lawyer and no information at all about how much it might cost. So, if there is anyone who is a solicitor, a lawyer or barrister who is thinking about applying, I hope this (very) long list of hoops I've had to jump through leaves you more informed than I was going into the process. Yes, it does mean re-qualifying. I got off pretty lightly having to do only 4 academic subjects and 2 practical subjects. Prepare a very thorough application for exemptions (I sent photocopies of the index to university text books, lecture handouts, etc that I found in my parents' loft to demonstrate the equivalence of the subjects I studied). This involves going back to university (it can be done by remote learning). Yes, that means lectures, tutorials, homework, coursework and exams. Yes, it does mean you will need to travel to Australia for a holiday to get admitted before you can even submit your Expression of Interest. DON'T apply for conditional admission like I did. You won't get it and you'll have wasted your time and money. No, you don't need a Skills Assessment Letter. Your certificate of admission as a lawyer will suffice. I've attached a spreadsheet showing the costs I've spent. In summary: On further study: a little under £10,000 On the process of being admitted in Australia (excluding the study costs above): a bit over £4,000, although about £1,000 of the cost of flights was returning in Premium Economy. On the fundamentals of making a visa application: over £5,000 Giving a grand total of: £19,078 over 2 years. 10.08.16 - Initial assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB received (Constitutional Law, Law of Associations, Legal Ethics, Practice & Procedure) 01.09.16 - Initial assessment of PLT (practical legal training) qualifications by LPAB received (One elective subject plus Commercial & Corporate Practice) 22.09.16 - Offered places on University of New England courses for academic subjects (distance learning) 05.10.16 - Applied for conditional admission as lawyer 24.10.16 - Started Corporations Law course 01.12.16 - Refused conditional admission by LPAB 20.02.17 - Started Constitutional Law course 23.05.17 - Constitutional Law exam 31.05.17 - Corporations Law exam 26.06.17 - Started Professional Conduct and Civil & Criminal Procedure courses. 13.08.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice PLT oral assessment (College of Law) 11.09.17 - Commercial & Corporate Practice result 26.09.17 - Professional Conduct exam 27.09.17 - Civil & Criminal Procedure exam 20.10.17 - UNE academic results 10.11.17 - Final assessment of academic qualifications by LPAB 12.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT elective oral assessment (College of Law) 13.11.17 - Administrative Law PLT result 19.12.17 - Applied for unconditional admission as lawyer 06.02.18 - Application for admission approved by LPAB 23.03.18 - Admission ceremony in Sydney (Supreme Court of NSW) 05.04.18 - EOI submitted - Barrister ANZSCO 271111 (75 points) 08.04.18 - EOI updated 13.04.18 - Police checks requested 18.04.18 - Invited to apply for 189 visa 19.04.18 - Medicals booked 19.04.18 - Police checks prepared / dated 26.04.18 - Police checks received 09.05.18 - Medicals undertaken 16.05.18 - Medicals submitted to Australia by clinic 18.05.18 - Decision ready 189 application submitted 06.09.18 - Direct Grant I hope you find this useful! Australia Costs copy.xlsx