Flying in 8 days, need. Hand hold (and positive stories!!)

maxia066

Hello all !

It’s been an emotional rollercoaster for the last 2 years since applying and finally getting granted our 189 visas in April (2 days before my birthday, Amazing present!). 

However now the time has come for the wobbles.... we are flying  1 week tomorrow to Adelaide, have said goodbye to 80% of family and friends (which has been awful), and are now selling cars, getting houses on the market, stopping nursery, handing over our business which we built from scratch and moving in with my dad for the last few days.

it is so hard saying goodbyes- to friends, family, the area we live, and our house, which both our children were born in and we rescued from a hideous wreck to make a beautiful family home, Which we have been camping in since June when we sent our container.  we’ve just had word the container is 1 week out, which gave us the massive morale boost we needed at the weekend after just saying goodbye to very close family-it’s not sunk after all!!

We were over in oz feb/March, have a fab Airbnb to stay in for our first month which we stayed in for our first week in adelaide in February, and are so happy with our decision to move...but his part is so bloody hard! Australia has been a dream of ours since we first went 7 years ago, and has since become the most amazing reality, but wow it is hard the last few weeks!

so, apologies for the pity message and it’s length, but if you have time, I would be so happy to read your tales of moving and the first few weeks, and suggestions of fun things to do in the first couple of weeks ( 1 and 3 year old, moving to Adelaide) We are so excited and looking forward to it all, and to coming to the end of years of wondering!

thanks all!

17 hours ago, maxia066 said:

Hello all !

It’s been an emotional rollercoaster for the last 2 years since applying and finally getting granted our 189 visas in April (2 days before my birthday, Amazing present!). 

However now the time has come for the wobbles.... we are flying  1 week tomorrow to Adelaide, have said goodbye to 80% of family and friends (which has been awful), and are now selling cars, getting houses on the market, stopping nursery, handing over our business which we built from scratch and moving in with my dad for the last few days.

it is so hard saying goodbyes- to friends, family, the area we live, and our house, which both our children were born in and we rescued from a hideous wreck to make a beautiful family home, Which we have been camping in since June when we sent our container.  we’ve just had word the container is 1 week out, which gave us the massive morale boost we needed at the weekend after just saying goodbye to very close family-it’s not sunk after all!!

We were over in oz feb/March, have a fab Airbnb to stay in for our first month which we stayed in for our first week in adelaide in February, and are so happy with our decision to move...but his part is so bloody hard! Australia has been a dream of ours since we first went 7 years ago, and has since become the most amazing reality, but wow it is hard the last few weeks!

so, apologies for the pity message and it’s length, but if you have time, I would be so happy to read your tales of moving and the first few weeks, and suggestions of fun things to do in the first couple of weeks ( 1 and 3 year old, moving to Adelaide) We are so excited and looking forward to it all, and to coming to the end of years of wondering!

thanks all!

I'm in a different state so can't comment on Adelaide specifics, but all those feelings are perfectly normal. I'm just over a year in and I've never looked back. I was told to buckle up and brace myself for the ride. I've embraced everything about Australia, worked hard to forge friendships and make a life for our family here. It's been bloody awesome and I wish you every best wish in making this beautiful country your new home.  Saying goodbye is sooo hard, and it's hard to camp out for the first few weeks. But container arrival day is like Christmas and you'll find your feet soon enough!!! Enjoy!!!

• Like 5

Hi, we have been here for three years in Perth. We experienced all the feelings you have. Saying goodbye is awful and you’ll be in a confused emotional state! We were excited but also upset so it all felt a bit unreal. We felt a bit like we were in a bubble when we arrived. Just be proud of yourselves for taking the step and don’t worry if everything isn’t perfect at first. In between getting tax numbers, Medicare, cars and rentals, try to just have a few days doing enjoyable things, like a tourist would. We felt a lot better when our container arrived and we were reunited with our familiar belongings, we sent ours ahead of us too so it’s good when you don’t have too wait long. Make sure you take a photo of you all at the plane as you board, you can look back on it and be proud of what you’ve achieved. Good luck and hope it all works out for you, it’s not been easy at times for us but we never regretted it for a minute.

• Like 1