Shorter Term Visa - 2 Years?

Whitey

Hi,

apologies if covered already, but we are considering looking at moving to Oz for a couple of years initially, make sure we settle, the kids settle etc and wondered of there is s specific visa for this? Like a short (ish) term or temporary visa to allow us to move thee, work and send the kids to school and basically live a normal life but not have to have gone through the full permanent application.

I appreciate if we decide to stay we would need to do that down the line.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Short answer is No.

The longer answer is, there are some temporary sponsored visas, the TSS visa is one, however you need to be sponsored by an employer and also on the skills list.

These types of visa also have some drawbacks such as school fees, mandatory health cover, 60 days to leave if you lose your job, jobs on the ST list have no possibilty or PR. etc etc 

Ok then ....... ha 

Guess that answers that then. Was thinking more of a working visa or something but if its permanent or nothing then we will look at that then. 

What does a sponsored visa entail? Do i basically get a job before I go and that qualifies me to be there?

Has anybody gotten through on a sales job as such?

Given that the goal posts move a lot and people find they are no longer eligible, my advice is that if you are eligible for PR, apply now. If you were to get a sponsored temporary visa, there is a risk that after the two years you are no longer eligible. 

The government have been making it harder to qualify. For example, minimum points requirements have increased from 60 to 65, over 200 occupations have been removed, the maximum age had reduced from 50 to 45. And that is just in the last year! 

Pat the same time temp visas come with a lot of catches. For example, a number of states charge for education for children, partners can have issues finding work, you would not be entitled to any government assistance and other issues.