How to find a good GP - Melbourne

swc132994

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to locate a good GP surgery but coming from the UK I am still mystified as to how it all works in Australia.

Is there a website containing any rating information on GP surgeries?

Are GP surgeries assessed by government at all for their quality of service?

6 minutes ago, swc132994 said:

Hello,

I am trying to find a way to locate a good GP surgery but coming from the UK I am still mystified as to how it all works in Australia.

Is there a website containing any rating information on GP surgeries?

Are GP surgeries assessed by government at all for their quality of service?

I tended to register and see a GP and if I didn’t like them I changed to a different practice or saw a different GP next time. You can attend any GP practice in Aus, not locked in the same way you are in the UK. Even more choice if you are willing to pay a fee rather than a bulk billed GP that only claims from Medicare.

There is an accreditation process for surgeries. Not sure how rigorous it is though. Doctors are a law unto themselves the world over.

Australia very much subscribes to a market driven model of healthcare and expects competition to encourage good service and low costs as the patient has the choice to go elsewhere if dissatisfied. It works up to a point I think, but there is a culture of snouts in the trough, particularly in the private sector, but also GPs wringing every cent out of Medicare at every opportunity.

Sorry, small rant at the end there!

I find with rating websites tend to draw the unrealistic grudge bearing angry folk, so tend to avoid them, but there are probably some around. Personally I’d pick one and go see them, see how you feel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...