Costs involved with moving interstate??

aconcannon

Hi fellow Poms!

So as you all know...after many a post on here and almost 2.5 years of trying to make a decision...we're finally leaving Sydney and heading to the Gold Coast!!!

We bought a brand new car in Sydney about 2 years ago and know that we have to register the car / change the plates within 14 days of arriving, we're just not sure how much it's going to cost? Having tried to calculate this on the QLD roads website (and giving up) it started talking about taxable value - surely we don't have to pay tax for registering the car in QLD? Anybody got any ideas or experience of this and any other tips off for things we'll get stung with?

Thanks guys!

It was a fair few years ago when we changed one to QLD plates and we cant remember how much it was but dont recall it being too expensive. It was a simple process of taking interstate plates in with all paperwork and claiming back any interstate rego and then just re registering on QLD plates.

I don't see why you should have to pay the new buyers registration fee (i think its about 3 % of vehicle value) if you have owned the vehicle for a few years, but heh its QLD the masters of red tape and handing out invoices,lol. so it wouldn't surprise me...

Cal x