Partner provisional 309 granted - After landing checklist

kubby

Hi,

My wife recently got her 309 partner provisional visa. I was just listing all the things she needs to get done after landing. Here is the list I could think of:

- Joint Tenancy Agreement
- Joint bank Account
- Medicare
- Driving License
- Private health insurance (optional)
- TFN 

Please let me know if I have missed anything. 

Thanks in advance.

KS

For TFN, that can be done online. They say you have to be in Australia to do it, but I doubt they have any way of actually policing that. One less thing to do after landing ?

Depending on where your partner's coming from there may be no real rush to get a driving licence. If coming from the UK as a resident you used to get 3 months of being allowed to use your UK licence before an Aussie one was required. Might be worth double-checking that's still current.

Hope her journey's a good one!

• Thanks 1

She has 12 months to get private health cover sorted. You get a letter when you first register with medicare. Ambulance cover needs to be set up separately. 

Bank account, set this up online before you go. Saved us time and was far easier to transfer GBP to Australia that way. 

I did my driving license straight away as I did like showing my foreign (UK) passport as ID!

I also registered with the British/UK Consulate (as a permanent or temporary resident, you're not entitled to Australian consular services only British until she gets her Australian citizenship).

Other than that, I can't think of anything more I did when I arrived on my 100 last year. Good luck!

Edited by Beffers

On 18/06/2018 at 16:58, phil said:

For TFN, that can be done online. They say you have to be in Australia to do it, but I doubt they have any way of actually policing that. One less thing to do after landing ?

Depending on where your partner's coming from there may be no real rush to get a driving licence. If coming from the UK as a resident you used to get 3 months of being allowed to use your UK licence before an Aussie one was required. Might be worth double-checking that's still current.

Hope her journey's a good one!

You have to be in Australia to apply for a TFN, even on line.  They ask for passport details and they know you are offshore or not.  I know I tried to sort this for my son before he arrived so even using a VPN won’t work.