309 Visa Advice - living in Vietnam

Backtoback

Any advice appreciated as I cannot find the information online.

I have activated my 309 visa in April 2017, and we spent 6 months in Oz. Opportunity came up to move to Vietnam for work for a year, and just had offer to stay on. 

- How long is my 309 visa valid for? Does it matter if I am outside of Australia?

- Does it make sense to hold off on applying for 100, as the 100 has more restrictions on leaving the country?

On my visa details, it says that the 309 is valid for 30 years, but are there restrictions on where you need to reside?

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Backtoback said:

Any advice appreciated as I cannot find the information online.

I have activated my 309 visa in April 2017, and we spent 6 months in Oz. Opportunity came up to move to Vietnam for work for a year, and just had offer to stay on. 

- How long is my 309 visa valid for? Does it matter if I am outside of Australia?

- Does it make sense to hold off on applying for 100, as the 100 has more restrictions on leaving the country?

On my visa details, it says that the 309 is valid for 30 years, but are there restrictions on where you need to reside?

Thank you!

Two years after the application for the 309 you should be supplying the paperwork for the 100. Doesn't matter where you are but if you don't supply anything you are at risk of eventual cancellation of the 309, as they will cancel it if they think you have abandoned the appiication. Just log into Immiaccount shortly after the 2 year anniversary and upload the documents. 

In the meantime you must let Immigration know where you are currently living (again you can do it by Immiaccount)- its a condition of the 309. 

The 100 does not have any more travel restrictions than the 309, not sure why you should think that; you need to apply for it as soon as you are eligible really. 

Thanks - thats really helpful!

I have done the address update and begun the 100 application but our documents are in Australia ? hopefully the brother in law is coming over and can bring them here.....

I thought with the 100 you cannot leave Australia for longer than 2 years at a time?

4 minutes ago, Backtoback said:

Thanks - thats really helpful!

I have done the address update and begun the 100 application but our documents are in Australia ? hopefully the brother in law is coming over and can bring them here.....

I thought with the 100 you cannot leave Australia for longer than 2 years at a time?

Once you have the 100 you are a permanent resident. So you have unrestricted travel for 5 years. After that if you wish to leave and return then you need a RRV or citizenship - you would need to read up on the rules surrounding both, especially if you are spending long periods offshore.

More secure than a 309 though which they can cancel at any time if they think you are not following up with the 100 paperwork. Its actually ony valid until they make a decision on the 100, max is 30 years, but I have seen them cancel after only 5 years. 

• Like 1