Shipping Companies - questions to ask????

sadsmile23

Hi all,

Have got tothe point now when I'm ready to get some quotes from shipping companies - have got my list of recommended ones to phone, however, would like some advice on what I should be asking them when they come to give quotes?

A few people I have spoken to have said that the timescales they give don't seem to be realistic ones; in other words, whatever they say, add at least another 2 weeks on top!

Advice appreciated, guys!

Thanks

Guest sheena

hi ya, we were told it would take 6-8 weeks, but as we had a shared contanier it has taken 17 weeks!!! not happy, but not alot we could do about it, our stuff had been packed by removal company, and we had been in oz for about 4 weeks before we left, if we had a contanier by ourselves it would of taken a lot quicker to get here!!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest Steve&Mandy

Hi Gill & Mick, We are using Pickfords and found they were very helpful so far. They told us that our goods would take 8-11 weeks from day of sail. Questions we asked were :

Can we drop things at the port if they still are being used when removal guys come in?

We asked for a complete costing for entire move and not be hit with hidden charges which sometimes have a habit of cropping up when you dont expect it.

Check Insurance because that has lots of hidden charges. (Watch out for the premium you have to pay if your goods add up in catergories A-E are more than the rest of the catergories.) It sounds complecated but look at the Insurance forms and read the small print.

Also check on delivery in Oz as they charge you for delivery if you live 30 miles or more away from port.

This is some of the questions that we asked hope it helps. Best of luck and speak soon

Steve

Archived