Birth certificate/Driver's license?

greenwoodryan96

Hi guys,

I'm applying for a 12 month visitor visa at the end of May to begin the last week of June.

My 'host' is writing a letter and supplying the relevant documents etc on their end. 

The application is online, so if they copy them and send them to me, to forward to immigration, is that okay? I assume so as I can't see any other way of submitting the original documents.

Secondly, the name on their birth certificate is 'Julianne', but their drivers license says 'Julie' (for short). Is that going to be an issue? Or is it better to just submit the birth certificate instead?

Thanks in advance!

Guest The Pom Queen

It may be worth while just getting your friend to attach a stat dec with it. Maybe a copy of their passport as well. Most shopping centres have a free JP certain days

6 hours ago, greenwoodryan96 said:

Thanks. Does that mean status declaration? 

How would she get that? Unfortunately she doesn't have a passport. 

What's JP? 

Kind regards 

Statutory declaration which is in effect a copy of the document stamped and signed by a justice of the peace, they do it for free and they hold clinics in public places like shopping centres.

I’m my experience the UK doesn’t have a system like they do here in oz with JPs (at least the part where we lived) 

We recently helped my mother in law apply for a 12 month visa and she just went to the dentist to get her passport marked as a certified true copy. Justice of the peace charge a fortune in UK, as do some solicitors etc. 

Maybe it’s your stream of visa/ personal circumstances that requires a more robust submission of docs with the JP etc.

What stream are you applying for?

Edited by Wonderingaloud

Thank you, that's very helpful! 

My neighbour works for the NHS and signs passport photos to confirm they are the person in the photo. I assume she will be able to do the same for my application.

I'm applying for the subclass 600 (12 months visitor/tourist). 

It doesn't really say that it requires all these docs, I just can't see it hurting by submitting a bit extra. So I was going to get a certified copy of the birth certificate from the person inviting me. It doesn't ask for a birth certificate from them, but it does say all documents submitted should be 'certified copies' - hence I was going to get her to get it certified. 

I did a quick Google about JP in Australia and found a link that said Australia Post will do it for $4.95 per document! :)

Certified copies can usually be by anyone who’s got a good stance in community- health practioners, policeman, school teachers etc. 

Unless it says JP I don’t think it’s necessary, like I say, my mother in law did ask some local solicitors and they wanted £5 a document or something daft. Dentist was happy to do it for free and it was accepted. 

After the form was filled out she was only asked for a certified copy of her passport and the visa was granted within a week after that. We weren’t asked to provide anything although she did write in the application form she had enough funds for the visit, and would be very happy to provide a bank statement if asked, and that we could provide information of our ability to support her if required. 

Good luck with it. We didn’t know what to expect and were pleasantly surprised especially as mother in law just turned 70 and we thought she might need medicals (turns out that’s only if she wanted the longer validity visa that lasts up to 5 years) she will just apply for each individual visit from now one that’s greater than 3 months.

Wow, thanks so much! That's exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for on this thread! 

I guess the additional documents really are if completely necessary. I will submit everything I have anyway, it'll only mean they won't have to request them should they need it. 

I'm a British national, no criminal record in good health, so hopefully they treat me the same as your mother in law - especially if they can do it in about a week! 

Thanks again! 

I don’t think you’ll have an issue- they generally want proof you are a decent person I.e. won’t try to overstay (British nationals are a low risk country for this type of thing) won’t work (not allowed) and your intension for the visit is to be a genuine tourist/visit family. 

Depending on what visas you’ve held in the past or if there’s any other reason for immigration to think your not a genuine visitor (ie if you are planning to move permanently with a guise of going on a tourist visa) they could ask for more info or potentially ask you questions at customs but that’s just what I’ve read from lurking on this forum.

Good luck