Where to begin?

ToonarmY87

Hi, 

Myself and my partner have been considering emigrating to Australia for a long time. We recently got back from a three week holiday up the gold coast from Brisbane to Cairns in our rented campervan. Since returning we are certain now this is something we would like to make a go of. 

Both of us have spent the past few weekends reading up on options with visas and requirements etc. However we are unsure in what order we are best to go about the process and which visa would be best suited to us. 

Would we be better off going down the sponsored route, nominated skilled or skilled migration visa? 

Any help or personal experience would be much appreciated. My girlfriend works in social working and has been looking at paying to have a migration skills assessment with the AASW to allow her qualifications to be recognised in Australia. Is this something people would recommend doing, at all, now or later in the process? 

Details of applicants:1

1-Male,

30 Years old, 

British Citizen since birth, 
Qualification - BSc (Hons) Building Surveying, 
Work Experience - Property/building management over 5 years, 
No health related issues, 
No dependants, 
No criminal convictions, 

2 -
Female , 
26 Years old, 
British Citizen since birth, 
Qualification - BA (Hons) Social Work, 
Work Experience - Social work, childcare, support work, mental health and adults with learning difficulties
No health related issues, 
No dependants, 
No criminal convictions

Please feel free to ask should you require further details on both applicants which may help. 

Hi, can only give you our own experience. We mentally battled for 12 years about whether or not to go and last February took the plunge and sent off for some assessments.
I’m a teacher and my husband is a plumber. Because at the time he was self employed and it was very difficult and expensive to get him assessed we decided to go with me as the lead applicant as a teacher I only had to provide certificates and a reference to prove my points as a teacher and we applied for 2 visas to See which one we got picked for first.
All I can say is that we were on the ball from last Feb and only paid for visas January 1st. That’s how long the entire process has taken. I always believed that until we paid the final bill (January 1st) that any amount of English tests and assessment I could swallow if I later changed my mind but thank god we started when we did but of course I now wish we started earlier as we are still looking at 6-8 months for the visas despite paying for them . You both need to log on to the points based system and see who gets more points for what visa and when one of u starts to lose points I.e with age.
We went for state sponsored and independent and I hear it’s a very long wait for independent (we still haven’t been picked for that one)
Any way I can help - direct message me

Agree with post above. First make sure your occupations are on the list and if there are any caveats as with accountants. Then do points for calculator for both.  To get a quick invite, 75 points seems to be the magic number at the moment.  Just be careful with assessments as there are assessments for migration and for registration to work. The secondary applicant may only need the latter so don’t spend money you don’t need to. For example as a sparky I need a skills assessment regardless to get an offshore technical skills record but my wife would only need to have her paperwork looked at by the teacher registration board not AITSL. If she was main applicant then she would her paperwork checked by both. 

Most agents do an initial consultation so may be worth reaching out to one and then deciding which route to take.

My opinion is that 189 skilled independent is better purely because you won’t be tied to a state or employer. 

Edited by Jsmull87
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 23:26, scubacam said:

I should add that we were applied or 189 and 190 and have been invited for 190. Still nothing for 189 and we applied for them back in June

Hi, 

Thanks for the help. We are probably looking at applying towards the 189 Visa my girlfriend being the primary applicant as Social Working positions seem to be in more demand. 

During the process what information do they require from the secondary applicants?  

Thanks 

How many points does she have? Be wary of just sitting in a pool of applicants and not getting picked as like I said we still haven’t been picked for 189 but just sent final paperwork yesterday for 190.

So for my partner who was secondary applicant all that has ever been asked for was his English tests I believe. On our last bits of paperwork that we submitted we had to both list all schooling (not grades) all employment and all travel dates as destinations for last 10 years !

2 minutes ago, scubacam said:

How many points does she have? Be wary of just sitting in a pool of applicants and not getting picked as like I said we still haven’t been picked for 189 but just sent final paperwork yesterday for 190.

So for my partner who was secondary applicant all that has ever been asked for was his English tests I believe. On our last bits of paperwork that we submitted we had to both list all schooling (not grades) all employment and all travel dates as destinations for last 10 years !

Hi, 

We believe 

Age - 30

English - 10 (possibly more)

Qualifications - 15

Work experience - 5

Would the partner skills add an additional 5 also? 

We contacted numerous agencies and all felt the 189 would be best and obtainable. However the 190 may be an alternative based on your experience 

To be honest, from personal experience, 20 points for a native speaker with good grammar isn't too hard to pick up if you take PTE or TOEFL. I did rather get the impression IELTS just wanted you to show off that you knew their style, though. Also, it chews up a whole day. Far better (in my humble opinion) to be in, out, and shove the kettle on.

Good luck :-)

Edited for typos. Sleepy. Lack of coffee. Tiny keys on phone... bloody freezing in Melbourne, this morning!

Edited by CeltInCaulfield