Job Ready Program for CHEF

jdiane

Hi All,

Is anyone  currently doing/done JRP for Chef as requirement for 189/190? I am applying as a FIFO Chef  for Sodexo (one of the biggest supplier of Chefs in mine sites) but not sure if it will be accepted with the program. Called TRA twice and was not given clear answers. First person said he had no idea, just said as long as I do the duties. Second person said I should just email so someone with more knowledge will attend to my queries. So I emailed and was again told that they can not determine. I was instructed to do the online registration (where I pay 500 bucks) so they can assess if my employer is suitable.

Anyone who have finished the program can please assist me also on how the whole process is done.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, wrussell said:

Have you consulted a registered migration agent?

Yeah, went to two MAs and they could not tell me as well. One advised me I cannot do casual, but TRA said I can as long as I complete full time hours, that being said I can accumulate it with 5 registered employers.

• 9 months later...
On 12/04/2018 at 17:33, jdiane said:

Hi All,

Is anyone  currently doing/done JRP for Chef as requirement for 189/190? I am applying as a FIFO Chef  for Sodexo (one of the biggest supplier of Chefs in mine sites) but not sure if it will be accepted with the program. Called TRA twice and was not given clear answers. First person said he had no idea, just said as long as I do the duties. Second person said I should just email so someone with more knowledge will attend to my queries. So I emailed and was again told that they can not determine. I was instructed to do the online registration (where I pay 500 bucks) so they can assess if my employer is suitable.

Anyone who have finished the program can please assist me also on how the whole process is done.

Thanks!

Hey Mate, Casual employment is accepted. I did n't have any chef qualification, so i went through Vetassess Pathway 1. They accepted my casual employment

52 minutes ago, garrychandi said:

Hey Mate, Casual employment is accepted. I did n't have any chef qualification, so i went through Vetassess Pathway 1. They accepted my casual employment

Thanks for the info, am almost done with my JRP and hopefully can lodgey EOI as well. I have heard numerous times that NSW is best for our occupation, so might try as well. 

On 12/02/2019 at 15:02, Mercy said:

Hi Jdiane, I'm currently doing the Job Ready Program as a casual chef with the TRA. As you said, they will accept your employment as long as you complete full time hours.

Thanks, am almost done with JRP and fingers crossed I get to have my certificate after. I went with another job to be safe as I was not confident with how they answered my queries that time.

Edited by jdiane

• 6 months later...
On 12/02/2019 at 17:02, Mercy said:

Hi Jdiane, I'm currently doing the Job Ready Program as a casual chef with the TRA. As you said, they will accept your employment as long as you complete full time hours.

Hi have you done skill test after 6 months employment?

On 13/02/2019 at 20:00, jdiane said:

Thanks for the info, am almost done with my JRP and hopefully can lodgey EOI as well. I have heard numerous times that NSW is best for our occupation, so might try as well. 

Hi I’m doing jrp as well could pls tell me about skill test? What kind of questions they ask or skills required ?

On 21/08/2019 at 01:30, Taku said:

Hi Jdiane. I am also a fifo chef currently on a graduate visa. I just wanted to ask if TRA do accept the hours as a fifo chef or they want an established restaurant? Did you end up hearing back from them

Are you working continuously? Yes you can have your JRP while doing FIFO as long as you are working as a Chef. 

On 26/08/2019 at 17:45, Preetman said:

Hi I’m doing jrp as well could pls tell me about skill test? What kind of questions they ask or skills required ?

You need 863 hours before you can proceed to step 3.

As long as  you know what you have been putting in your journals then you should be fine. My step three was more about what I usually do in the kitchen. Try planning it out as well. On my assessment day I prepped for a certain dish that takes a lot of time... while we were talking😂. So I didn't do so much. Just make sure you know your basic food temp, danger zone and you must have your temp log for fridge and freezer. It takes two hours then assessor will send you the result in two weeks. 

Edited by jdiane

• 5 months later...
On 12/02/2019 at 18:02, Mercy said:

@Mercy Hello! Is this confirmed? I can do casual commis chef role as long as I complete the hours? Do I have to have a steady hours of 38 per week or it can vary as long as I still do 1,725 hours in a year? Thank you!

18 hours ago, jarceo said:

Hi @jdiane

Would like to ask is it okay to do the Job Ready Program as a Casual Commis Chef? Will the job type matter or it's okay as long as you reach the hours? Or are they only accepting Full time and Part time?

Thank you.

I work with a Chef who works on a casual basis and has been doing his JRP. He is just waiting to do step 3 now. I believe as long as you are able to perform the job description then you may do it on a casual job. Just make sure you get the hours continuously atleast. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/02/2020 at 19:40, Jaimesot said:

Hi guys how long did it take for a liason officer to contact you and start receiving the reports? I started step on sept 2019 and still havnt been contacted. Thank you.

Same here. I started in Nov and still haven't received any contact from them. I also have sent several emails and no reply.

Every time that I try to call them, it goes to the voice mail.

I don't know what to do anymore :(  

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 11:39, Deejay said:

HI, 

My wife is going to graduate this march so we want to know about JRP as a chef. We just wonder if there a certain salary bracket or awards needed when going through jrp. Thank you in advance for answering.

No, just need to work full time and achieve a certain number of hours.