186 nomination done for direct instead of TRT- does it matter?!

Patty83

Hi folks,

First post for me- my employer completed 186 nomination for me in Feb 18 and did direct entry. I don’t know why- I was expecting TRT given I’m on a 457 since 2016 and met the TRT criteria- I’ve only just found out. Is this likely to be a problem? Or more hurdles to jump? I’ve no idea why they did it that way! They said it was easier, I’m not sure it is.............especially as now the deadline has passed I don’t think they can submit a new TRT nomination or change the stream. Argh!

2 hours ago, Patty83 said:

First post for me- my employer completed 186 nomination for me in Feb 18 and did direct entry. I don’t know why- I was expecting TRT given I’m on a 457 since 2016 and met the TRT criteria- I’ve only just found out. Is this likely to be a problem? 

Yes as the criteria are different under the two streams.

Or more hurdles to jump? 

Under Direct Entry you will need a skills assessment and 3 year, full time, skilled employment experience at the visa stage.

I’ve no idea why they did it that way! They said it was easier, I’m not sure it is.............

There are less requirements for the sponsor at the nomination stage under Direct Entry.

especially as now the deadline has passed I don’t think they can submit a new TRT nomination or change the stream. Argh!

They can try and change the stream by claiming incorrect answer, but it is unlikely to be accepted.

You may still meet the TRT requirements under transitional arrangements.

Thankyou so much for your reply
I’ve combed through the requirements and actually think I fulfill all of the DE ( 12years experience including 2 here in Oz, 10 in the uk), and skills assessment from my 457 is still valid
It makes sense that it was easier for HR and that’s why they did it .
I guess I have no choice but to proceed