Secondary Schools

Guest Charlton Boy

Guest Charlton Boy

Can you help me, my wife has been reading that secondary schools in the melbourne area arnt very good, can anybody tell us what they are really like as our 8 year old twins will have to go to a secondary school once out of primary.

Many Thanks

Charlton Boy

Going to Melbourne Feb 09

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

There are some great schools in Melbourne, I am currently writing an article on schooling in Melbourne. If you tell me which areas of Melbourne you are considering i can let you know the best secondary schools around that area. Obviously the independant schools (private) will give you the best education although saying that there are some great government schools around.

Here is a web site which will assist you with schooling.Live in Victoria - Secondary Schools in Melbourne & Regional Victoria, Australia

Its a very personal thing and a lot depends on what the children want to do when they leave school which school is more suitable. Government education gives a better preparation for university I believe and the statistics show that often it is children from the private education system who falter in their first year.

That said I did send my children to private secondary college but do not believe it made any difference in the end, have a lot of friends whose children went to gov schools considered by some not to be up to par and those children are now in academia one is doing research in the USA.

The child is the one who has to learn wherever they go.

Guest Charlton Boy

Hi thanks for the reply

We might be going to Geelong area

Thanks All

Charlton Boy

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi thanks for the reply

We might be going to Geelong area

Thanks All

Charlton Boy

Hi Charlton Boy, I still have lots of data to collate and requests for information to be answered, but here is what I have compiled on Secondary Schools in Geelong so far, I hope you find it useful. There may be schools that I have missed off so please bear with me.

In Geelong you have the following secondary schools:

Clonard College - Catholic - 66% go off to university, 24% to TAFE and 30% to work.

Geelong High School - Government - 32% go off to Uni, 30% to TAFE and 38% to work

Matthew Flinders Girls Secondary College - Government - 70% Uni, 17% to TAFE, 13% to work.

Western Heights College - Government - Sorry I don't have the data for this yet but for now the info I have are that 93% of students gain satisfactory completions of their VCE's. VET is 95% and VCAL 69%

Australian Technical College - Independant - Again I am awaiting the stats on this but for VET Completions it is 69% and of VCAL 91%

Covenant College - Independant - 47% to Uni, 40% to TAFE and 13% to work.

Geelong Grammer - Independant - 92% to Uni, 5% to TAFE and 3% to work

Geelong Grammer does seem the best school you can see their website here Geelong Grammer but then it has probably got the fees to match:err:

Guest Charlton Boy

Many Thanks

That is very helpful

Nice to know you are there

My wife is at ease a bit now

Many Thanks

John

Hi Movingtomelbourne, can I jump on the bandwagaon pleaseeeeeeeeeee. We may try Mornington areas, can you tell me about the secondary schools there please.

We have two very different boys, 10 year old is very sporty and will obviously be going to secondary school quite soon, he is very intelligent aswell, so I dont want him to start to fall behind. 7 year old just thinks school is a social club I think!!

Many Thanks in advance.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Movingtomelbourne, can I jump on the bandwagaon pleaseeeeeeeeeee. We may try Mornington areas, can you tell me about the secondary schools there please.

We have two very different boys, 10 year old is very sporty and will obviously be going to secondary school quite soon, he is very intelligent aswell, so I dont want him to start to fall behind. 7 year old just thinks school is a social club I think!!

Many Thanks in advance.

LOL If I tell you then I will have to shoot you!!! If you remember then my information guide for the website won't be useful because you will all already know:chatterbox: But if you promise to keep it a secret here goes... ssshhhhh remember don't tell anyone..... and remember I am still working on this so it is only draft:

Secondary Schools in Mornington are:

Paduca College - Catholic - 33% to Uni, 15% to TAFE and 30% to work. To be honest although there are not many off to Uni (probably because of the distance, I don't know) they score well with their results.

Mornington Secondary College - Government - 50% to Uni, 30% TAFE, 20% to work. 89% complete VCE's, 98% complete VET and 66% for VCAL's.

It all depends on whether you want a government run school or independant (private). Toorak College at Mt Eliza ranks high and if I was in this area I would be tempted to send my child there. It is an independant school and the results I have collated so far are; 86% to uni, 10% TAFE, 4% Work. Results for VCE are 100%.

The fee for a Yr 10 Child for example $17k per annum and in their final year Yr 12 $21,500.

Again please remember this is only a draft of what I have created so far I intend to do a full breakdown for each school but it could take a while, gulp:wacko:

Guest The Pom Queen
Keep What A secret ?????????

LOL

JOHN x

Ummm, I can't remember:wideeyed:

Guest Filipina

This is a message for moving2melbourne: We are heading to Melbourne hopefully within the end of this year, I've got a job offer for The Alfred. Got 2 kids, eldest is 12 who's in year 7 and my son is going to be in year 3.Can you help us regarding the information for the school in The Alfred Hospital area, and also place to stay maybe a short let until we settle down.BTW both my kids goes to a catholic school here in UK

Guest The Pom Queen
This is a message for moving2melbourne: We are heading to Melbourne hopefully within the end of this year, I've got a job offer for The Alfred. Got 2 kids, eldest is 12 who's in year 7 and my son is going to be in year 3.Can you help us regarding the information for the school in The Alfred Hospital area, and also place to stay maybe a short let until we settle down.BTW both my kids goes to a catholic school here in UK

Hi

Congratulations on the job offer, this will make things a lot smoother for your move over. We do have a short term let which is 10minutes drive or bus from the Alfred Hospital if this helps for a few weeks. In regards to schools you have the following:

Melbourne Grammer - Government School - Excellent Reputation - 98% go to University, 1.5% to TAFE and 0.5% go out to work.

VCE Results are 100% and VET Results are 100% Not sure on the fees for Yrs 9 but in Yr 10 $2500pa (two thousand five hundred dollars)

The only problem is they don't accept boys till Yr 9 and it is done by entrance exam and is meant to be very hard to get in to.

St Kevins College - Catholic - 98% University and 2% TAFE

VCE Results 100% and VCE Results 100%

Fees again for Yr 10 would be $12,215

This is 10 minutes from Alfred Hospital

Melbourne Grammer ranks higher in study scores but then St Kevins is a great school also.

There are lots more good schools around this area so if you need some more ideas let me know. Must go and get dinner cooking.

Kate

Guest Filipina

Thank you very much for that, We'll keep in touch ( re: short let accomodation) once we finalise everything at the moment I'm waiting to be registered to Nurses Board of Victoria.I'll check the net regarding the school you have mention.

Being from Melbourne I would argue that most schools are fine...the biggest difference between good and bad results is back to simple things e.g. doing homework, parents taking an interest etc. etc.

Actually now a movement has started to break connection between high school results and university entry. The smarter parents have their children start a cheaper TAFE course part time and have them working, plus travel......then with this experience children can make an informed choice of what study they wish to do (and pay fees for)

Regarding public schools, Geelong Grammar etc. they compare equally with state high and catholic schools in most good suburbs, but a public school may have more extra curricular activities.

Although Prince Charles attended Geelong Grammar it is not the best school by most measures, I went to public school in Melbourne and anyone expelled for alcohol offences etc. were gladly accepted by Geelong Grammar :) The school with most old boys in Oz Who's Who is Scotch College, Hawthorn, Melbourne.

Nonetheless, Geelong area is a great choice with more affordable housing, good health care, good schools, gateway to the Great Ocean road, yet still less than one hour by express train to Melbourne city (did it myself in May).

Cheers Andrew

Guest BushBaby

Hi everyone, can anyone recommend senior schools and primary schools in Perth for a 14yr old and 6 yr old. Not sure where to settle in Perth yet North or south but want to be not too far from the coast. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the UK GCSE is in OZ?

Thanks Bushbaby :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kev-k

Hi everyone - I'm a newbie, we're just beginning to plan a move over in 2-3 years time to Melbourne. At that point our older girls will be 14 & 15, lad will be about to go up to secondary and our youngest will be just starting school. In fact, she'll have a year done by July '11 but wouldn't actually start in Oz till Jan '12! Question is, aside from the dates of the school year (which I don't care about) what are the real differences in state schools between Oz and the UK? We take an active role in our kids education, helping with homework, active on governors and PTA and they all do well and enjoy school but the older girls want to know what differences to expect. Thanks guys!

kev

• 3 weeks later...

im going to secondary school in melbourne when i get there in september. i am most into dance and sports which is probally a better school for me?

Lola x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hazel and dave

Hi,

I'm a teacher and have just got back from a recce visit to Melbourne. I has a look at a couple of schools and spoke to a fair few teachers out there. My impression was that the focus seems to be on teaching students to be learners rather than drilling them with content for exams etc (although there seems to be no shortage of testing!) On the whole I thought that the schools felt more relaxed and had a really positve 'vibe'. Although teenagers are teenagers, I didn't see any examples of over the top 'Kevin and Perry' type behaviour. Please bear in mind that these are only MY initial impressions, but I hope they help.

Hazel

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to move to Melbourne - visas pending. But your adivse would be welcome on schooling in either Williamstown area or Ivanhoe or Viewbank. Got boy of 14 just started yr 10 and a girl of 10 just started yr 6.

Worried about helping them to settle in to a new life, want to get their school right. Boy is very much into football, plays for school team and Saturday team. Girl very bright and a reader/writer, but quite shy.

Would really appreciate any help offered.

Rache (43), Les (47), Jake (14), Georgia (10)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Rache

It depends if you want to go for a Catholic, Government or Independent school. In Ivanhoe you have 2 excellent independent schools;

Ivanhoe Grammar and Ivanhoe Girls Grammer, the girls grammer has better results but obviously I don't think your son would want to go there,ha,ha (well he might), so if you wanted them both to be at school together then go for the Ivanhoe Grammer, fees for this school in Yr 10 are approx $17,300. They do from Prep - Yr 12 so both of your children could attend this school from when you arrive, obviously subject to their conditions/capacity etc.

Government Schools you have Banksia Secondary obviously not as good as the independant schools and their results dropped last year compared to previous years. It may be worth going to Northcote High School, the results are a lot better than Banksia.

Williamstown

You have Williamstown High School, the results are not to bad but personally the schools in and around Ivanhoe are showing better results. At WHS only 40% of the students go on to University.

There are a couple of good Catholic Schools in Altona/Altona North but it depends if you would want to commute to the schools if you are living in Williamstown.

As a parent of teachers I agree with OP teacher that its what parents put in as much as anything, if you have books, papers read, are interested and take an interest in your children all the time they thrive wherever they go to school. Some children learn at school some don't and often those that don't take up education later on when they are more mature and it works out fine.

I sent my children to state primary school and private secondary. Why private secondary, small school limited size, discipline, close to our home and we could afford it.

Both my children went on to uni but I would have probably preferred my son did a trade as I believe that there are more opportunities these days for trades people and technology people. They both now have large hecs bills which we are not going to pay off for them.

I am an alumnus of Scotch College (mind you, the one in Perth, not Melbourne) and I am going to put our two boys there as soon as they are ready. Had a lot of thought about it, but in the last analysis, the lottery of finding a good state school simply vanishes. There are some excellent state schools, they have better results than the most expensive private schools too - but I would rather have the consistency and security of knowing I get what I pay for. But - the choices you face are huge. Which "one" is right?? Are you in Melbourne already? If not, wait until you get there, listen to the parents at work, or socially. Read the newspapers to see which schools feature negatively or positively. Go to the schools and get a feel for the environment.

Hi All

Thanks for all your advise, gratefully appreciated. Don't think we'll be able to afford 2 lots of school fees, I'll be the only one with a definite job if and when we arrive.

I shall try to find out as much as I can about the state schools.

Best wishes to you all

Rache

Archived