Short Term Skill Visa - Question

Hello guys,

Had a question about short term skill visa which has come in to play from March 2018.

I am currently working as a Dentist in the UK. I qualified in 2014. I would like to move to Perth with my wife and 2 children under the age of 6.

I know I can get a short term skill visa for 2 years and then by reapplying a further 2 years (4 years in total)

Could I apply for a 189 visa whilst I’m out in Australia working? 

Also anyone have any experience, and know about anyone on a short term skills list being successful in applying and being granted aninvite/ visa.

Roughly how long is the process? 

Thank you in advance

Any advice appreciated.

Vatos

Have you checked if your occupation is only on the short term list? If it is, then you are not moving to Oz, you are going for two years, which MIGHT, be extended to four years. 

If it is not been sponsored by the state, then you will need an employer to sponsor you. So, you need to apply for jobs. 

You would need to be aware many companies will not sponsor and many others can not meet the criteria. Then, if you do, the TSS has a number of issues. In Perth you will have to pay 4K a year for education, partners can have issues finding employment and it is tied to the employer, so if you were to lose your job for any reason, you would have 60 days to leave the country. 

My advice would be to speak to a good agent to see if there are other options. 

Hi Verystormy,

i was reading the eligibility criteria and it stated that if the occupation was on the relevant list then I would be able to apply. I have added the url with this message. Could you kindly have a look and advice further please. I may be reading and interpreting it wrong. I really appreciate your help.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/190-

• Like 1

Ignore previous message. Just read the details on the web page thoroughly. I’m probably going to have to wait and hope they put Dentistry on the medium to long term list. Do you know roughly when every year they change/add/ remove occupations on the lists?

Thanks