Extend visa 189

hookturn

Hello all, I am on visa 189 and have been travelling to oz every year for the last four years on short trips. I will need to make the move to Oz within a year now but I am still not ready for personal reasons. Is there a way to extend the visa so that I get extra time to move?

You can apply for a RRV (a Resident Return Visa).

The rule is that to be sure of getting one, you must have spent at least 2 years out of the 5 years in Australia.  It doesn't have to be in one lump, you can add up all your trips.   It would certainly make it easier if you could arrange to spend more time in Australia in this final year, to reach the 2-year target.

People do sometimes get a RRV without the 2 year requirement, but you need to have "compelling reasons" why you haven't moved. 

42 minutes ago, hookturn said:

I have sent maybe 2months in total these last 4 years and I have no compelling reasons. Looks like I will lose the PR if I do not make the move then

In that case, are you sure you really want to make the move?  If you keep delaying the move, perhaps your heart isn't really in it.

1 hour ago, hookturn said:

I would like to take some more time as I have some personal things to sort first. That is why I am looking for options to delay the move

Only you know, but I feel you need to sit down and think about what you really want.

If your "personal things" are so vitally important they've made it impossible  to migrate, then they are "compelling" and you can use them to justify a RRV. 

If your "personal things" aren't that important, then why on earth are you letting them put your PR at risk?  Maybe, because they're a good excuse.