A nudge in the rt direction please.

jimmy boy

Depends on what you want from an area tbh.

How much is your budget for starters. Do you hope to stay longer term in the area, if so can you afford to buy in it when the time comes or are prepared to keep moving rentals in the area. Do you have a preference for along the coast, inland, city suburb or up in the foothills. Or don’t really mind (altho much can change once actually here).

How old are your kids? What do you hope to do work wise as in commute or travel around.

Give is something to work with :) 

[emoji16] we r in the extremely early stages at the mo so budget is up in-the air, would look at renting in a nice area with the chance of making it our perm base, so just wanna know areas with gd schools , the girls will b 5yrs and 2yrs by the time we reach oz, im a lift technician so il be travelling by van no matter what, thanks for your reply so far snifter [emoji1303]

There are many ‘nice’ areas in and around Adelaide. Depends on you, your family and what you like and can afford. Not much point renting for 6 months in an expensive suburb if you won’t  be able to afford to stay longer term and need to move a fair bit further awa later on. Makes the whole living local to school and good community thing a bit pointless. 

I’m very happy with where we live but it isn’t for everyone. We are in the foothills, peace and quiet, no hustle and bustle.  It’s got good schools, facilities etc and it suits us. It wouldn’t suit others. I have friends who live about a 15 minute drive from us and I’d not live where they are. But they like it. Other like to be along the coast more. Or closer to the city. Some like the eastern suburbs and can afford the price tag that usually comes with those suburbs. 

I can’t really tell you good areas at this point as Adelaide has masses of suburbs and sprawls for miles along the coast. Tbh I’d say research and work out your budget and once you’ve got an idea of how much you can afford,  then start looking at areas. That would narrow it down a fair bit for you I’d expect. Also talk to your partner and see if you have similar ideas on what you’d like out of an area. Suburban Australia is something some migrants from the UK find it hard to get to grips with as we really don’t have anything like it there. It’s closer to the US in that respect I feel. It can be quite jarring. I found it very Stepford Wives like to begin with on my first and subsequent trips and it didn’t sit well with me but when we moved over we took a while to look round and find an area that worked for us and didn’t give me that feeling. Still find I can’t shake that feeling about some of the newer build southern and coastal suburbs down south but that is me, others love them :) 

Id really try pinning down work first and search from there. I know you said you will be travelling anyway but you wouldnt want to be (using Brisbane as an example as thats where i am) living far south of Brissy and find a job working the North side /sunny coast area, it would be a pain of a drive every day and could add a few hours onto a working day.

Also calculate into your budget that you will need to stay in holiday accomoodation or a short term furnished  rental for 3 to 4 weeks when you arrive as its near impossible (and very risky) to secure a longer term (6 mth plus) rental before you are actually here. The advantage is you can use those 3 to 4 weeks to look at areas and try to get work to base a suburb search around if you havent sorted a job prior.

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

Archived