De Facto Bridging Visa Processing Times

seangolding1987

My partner and I have decided to take the gamble and apply for our onshore defacto visa. We have been together for a year, living together for 11 months and dating for 5 months prior to being together. We have known each other for 4 years. The "gamble" comes in where we can't provide proof of living together for the first 5 months of our relationship...we can prove the rest and have plenty of other evidence. Anyway...

Does anybody know how long they are currently taking to process the application on average until grant of temporary visa? Is the bridging visa still lasting around 18 months and then a year on temporary before PR? 

Thanks

Apparently in some states you can register your relationship which does away with the 12 months living together rule - but 12 months is 12 months, not 11 months.

I thought I saw somewhere recently that it was up to 2 years before visa grant onshore these days whereas offshore in London, someone recently got theirs in just over 2 months.

Isnt the permanent visa 2 years after issue of the temporary one?

Edited by Quoll

We can always push it out a bit further before applying but still we won’t be able to prove officially living together for longer then 6 at the time of application. But there is no requirement that we would have to be living together for 12 months...this is officially stated on the government website. So long as we were in an exclusive, continuing relationship and are able to prove that which we are. My main concern is that if it was thrown out, that we’d have at least the term of the bridging visa to work and save, so hopefully it’s at least 18 months. 

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

Apparently in some states you can register your relationship which does away with the 12 months living together rule - but 12 months is 12 months, not 11 months.

I thought I saw somewhere recently that it was up to 2 years before visa grant onshore these days whereas offshore in London, someone recently got theirs in just over 2 months.

Isnt the permanent visa 2 years after issue of the temporary one?

Eligible for PR 2 years after the initial application, not the grant.  And yes, timelines are currently quoted at 2-3 years onshore. 

• Like 1