How Do You Calculate Experience Points Exactly (Visa 189, 190) - Chef/Cook Occupation

Hoang Quyen Le

Hi everyone

I'm really confused and need help desperately.

The DIPB has stated that the experience points can only be claimed after you are deemed QUALIFIED. But how am I suppose to know when I'm qualified or not?

In my opinion, that means I have to finish all 4 steps of the Job Ready Program (JRP) and actually obtain a certificate from TRA. After that, I can start to accumulate my experience points.

However, a friend of mine has said that I do not need to finish all 4 steps in order to start calculating experience points. He said I just need to finish the 1st step which is Provisional Skills Assessment (PSA). As soon as I get the positive respond from TRA, I can start to count my experience points.

That would make a big different as if I assume I get a full-time job immediately after I graduate (of course I need to get the visa 485 first, which lasts for 18 months for my occupation) and it takes approximately 1 year to finish the whole JRP. Therefore, by the time that I have the JRP certificate, I only have 1/2 year left to accumulate experience points, which is pointless anyway. 

On the other hand, if what my friend said is true, then by the time I almost finish my visa 485, I would accumulate almost 1.5 years of experience.

I even heard somebody said that I only need to have my Certificate (Cert III or Cert IV in Commercial Cookery) and I can start to calculate the points from that moment I receive the certificate. 

I'm all ears now and looking forward to any advice

Many thanks!!!

Edited by Hoang Quyen Le

• 6 months later...
On 14/03/2018 at 08:35, wrussell said:

If you are not clear, you could pay $600 for a Migration Points Advice opinion from TRA, or you could ask for a quotation from a  registered migration agent.

Hi wrussell, I have bit of confusion with Victorian state nomination. My occupation is chef and i have 8 years of experience. I got my skill assessment through pathway one as i didn't have any formal qualification in cookery. Victoria ask for 5 years of post qualification experience. I am not sure from when i am deemed qualified. It will be great if you can provide any recommendation.

Kind regards

When you have a positive pre-migration skills assessment, you should receive a letter along the following lines:

Date deemed skilled for Points Test Advice:10/2008

Number of years assessed positively: 9.1

The following claims of skilled employment made by the applicant have not been included in the above calculation:

1. From 10/2007 to 09/2008, xxxxxxx, The Philippines

as:

the employment was used to calculate the qualifying period required to meet the skill level of the nominated

or closely related ANZSCO occupation (Employment 1)

From what you have posted, it is not possible to offer a considered professional opinion about your eligibility, or your possible visa strategies, which appear to involve more than a points calculation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2018 at 09:59, wrussell said:

When you have a positive pre-migration skills assessment, you should receive a letter along the following lines:

Date deemed skilled for Points Test Advice:10/2008

Number of years assessed positively: 9.1

The following claims of skilled employment made by the applicant have not been included in the above calculation:

1. From 10/2007 to 09/2008, xxxxxxx, The Philippines

as:

the employment was used to calculate the qualifying period required to meet the skill level of the nominated

or closely related ANZSCO occupation (Employment 1)

From what you have posted, it is not possible to offer a considered professional opinion about your eligibility, or your possible visa strategies, which appear to involve more than a points calculation. 

Hey mate, this is what vetassess provided me after the assessment. No mention of anything about the work experience or any point advise. Called vetassess and they said that for trade occupation we do not provide point advise.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Deleted image with personal details

• 3 months later...
On 14/02/2019 at 06:28, will87 said:

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I have been told by Vetassess the same. How do I get points advice? 

In the end i found out that you don't need to provide points advise for trade occupations. There are some regions, who have condition that, you must provide points advise for the nomination. If you are applying to one of those region then you need to apply directly to TRA for points advise