189 visa - points for Early Childhood Teacher

TeacherSkel

Hi, 

Can anyone help me to clarify how many points I should be able to get please? I’ve calculated it as:

Age 40-44 = 15 points 

5-7 years skilled employment = 10 points

Will attempt to get superior English in IELTS! = 20 points

Qualification for skilled occupation = 10 points

Now here’s the bit that bothers me - can I also get 15 points for my BA from the UK as well as the 10 points for the qualification for skilled occupation? Or is it a case of one or the other? Because if I can’t have both, I’m not going to have enough points ?

Also, are any additional points given for having a Masters?

Thanks

You can only claim points once from each section so obviously use your highest qualification. Also you can only claim experience for what you can prove and only from the day you qualified e.g after PGCE.  

Be aware AITSL are quite picky about what they accept as Early Childhood Teacher and some struggle if the degree doesn't say early years in the title as there is an element for 0-2 years in Oz that perhaps isn't the norm in the UK. Make sure you sit the ACADEMIC IELTS for your skills assessment.

I recently did all the admin for my wife's assessment as Early Childhood Teacher which came back positive and happy to share some info with you if you require it.

• Like 1

Thanks Jsmull87 - I might take you up on the offer of info as I proceed!

Both of my degrees are Early Years (BA Early Years with QTS and MA Early Childhood Education) and I’ve got the letter from uni which covers the supervised placement requirement. The 5-7 years skilled employment is all full time teaching experience post-qualification which can be proven, so I know that’s ok. Thanks for the info re which IELTS to take - I need it for the points.

Thanks again ??

Do some research on the IELTS prior because it's surprising how many native speakers struggle with it. They tend to ramble on with writing and use slang in speaking. 

AITSL will allow you to use your degrees as proof of language ability but they have the right to request IELTS if not satisfied which slows the process. Obviously the general test is slightly easier when thinking of points. 

Save some money by getting a head teacher to certify all your copies rather than paying a solicitor. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, I am trying to find the best degree in UK to be able to work as a teacher of Early Childhood in Australia. I thougt about the Open University, but there´s no teaching practice in its Degree. A "supervised teaching practice" is necessary to meet the requirments of AISLT as I´ve read, so apparently these studies wouldn´t work for me.

What would you reccomend to start a career as an Early Chidldhood teacher, to meet Australian requirements?

I am also confused with "Early Years Degree" or "Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood"... as you said, as far as "early" is written in the title shouldn´t be any problem with AISLT. 

I am a Secondary teacher, but thinking about changing my professional direction to be able to work in Oz easier. If you can shed some light on this I´ll thank you. 

1 hour ago, Chris84 said:

Hi, I am trying to find the best degree in UK to be able to work as a teacher of Early Childhood in Australia. I thougt about the Open University, but there´s no teaching practice in its Degree. A "supervised teaching practice" is necessary to meet the requirments of AISLT as I´ve read, so apparently these studies wouldn´t work for me.

What would you reccomend to start a career as an Early Chidldhood teacher, to meet Australian requirements?

I am also confused with "Early Years Degree" or "Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood"... as you said, as far as "early" is written in the title shouldn´t be any problem with AISLT. 

I am a Secondary teacher, but thinking about changing my professional direction to be able to work in Oz easier. If you can shed some light on this I´ll thank you. 

You would be able to migrate to Aus, using your secondary school teacher qualifications. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 00:17, Jsmull87 said:

You can only claim points once from each section so obviously use your highest qualification. Also you can only claim experience for what you can prove and only from the day you qualified e.g after PGCE.  

Be aware AITSL are quite picky about what they accept as Early Childhood Teacher and some struggle if the degree doesn't say early years in the title as there is an element for 0-2 years in Oz that perhaps isn't the norm in the UK. Make sure you sit the ACADEMIC IELTS for your skills assessment.

I recently did all the admin for my wife's assessment as Early Childhood Teacher which came back positive and happy to share some info with you if you require it.

Hey,

im currently in the process of competing my pgce in education. I have done my teaching practice for 12 weeks in total teaching to kids aged between 3-5. Would AITSL be okay with this? Since it doesn’t state “early years” on my pgce but I would be able to get the letter from my university stating the age group I did my supervised teaching practice. 

• Like 1

As my "supervised teaching experience" in my country doesn´t meet the requirements of AISLT, I am trying to find a way to be able to apply for a Skilled Visa in the future. What would you recommend? I´m thinking about a Bachelor in education (Early Childhood), a Master´s Degree in teaching (Secondary)... I don´t see another solution to complete the 1 full-year program with supervised practice included

19 minutes ago, Chris84 said:

As my "supervised teaching experience" in my country doesn´t meet the requirements of AISLT, I am trying to find a way to be able to apply for a Skilled Visa in the future. What would you recommend? I´m thinking about a Bachelor in education (Early Childhood), a Master´s Degree in teaching (Secondary)... I don´t see another solution to complete the 1 full-year program with supervised practice included

Ohh okay, where is your initial qualification from? Does it have 45 days of supervised teaching practice ?

Edited by Areyousure
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Ohh okay, where is your initial qualification from? Does it have 45 days of supervised teaching practice ?

I own a Bachelor Degree in Music and a "supervised teaching practice"  of 45 days or more (but the study program where the teaching practice was included did not last a year, maybe 8 months). That´s why I am not sure it´s gonna meet the requirements. I am planning to ask AISLT first, but I have no hope. 

37 minutes ago, Chris84 said:

I own a Bachelor Degree in Music and a "supervised teaching practice"  of 45 days or more (but the study program where the teaching practice was included did not last a year, maybe 8 months). That´s why I am not sure it´s gonna meet the requirements. I am planning to ask AISLT first, but I have no hope. 

Okay, what university is it from?

Im currently doing my pgce from Sunderland university. It’s a one year post graduate degree. 

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/education/pgce-international-dl/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Hey,

im currently in the process of competing my pgce in education. I have done my teaching practice for 12 weeks in total teaching to kids aged between 3-5. Would AITSL be okay with this? Since it doesn’t state “early years” on my pgce but I would be able to get the letter from my university stating the age group I did my supervised teaching practice. 

I can’t see there being an issue with it as long it covers their specified age range. Just get your university to write a letter stating all the facts. 

My wife’s case was straightforward as she had a bachelors in early years and a PGCE in early years so your best best bet is to contact AITSL or go through their website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Okay, what university is it from?

Im currently doing my pgce from Sunderland university. It’s a one year post graduate degree. 

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/education/pgce-international-dl/

Actually, my Degree comes from a High Conservatory of Music because it´s a Bachelor in performance... I really need to ask AITSL if it works for them. My next option is studying a Master Degree in Teaching (Secondary), as it´s only two years full-time, and then I would be able to ask for a Skilled Visa (although I know reaching 70 points is gonna be tough, at least I want to be on the right track). Does anybody see any problem in my plan? Any advice?

16 minutes ago, Chris84 said:

Actually, my Degree comes from a High Conservatory of Music because it´s a Bachelor in performance... I really need to ask AITSL if it works for them. My next option is studying a Master Degree in Teaching (Secondary), as it´s only two years full-time, and then I would be able to ask for a Skilled Visa (although I know reaching 70 points is gonna be tough, at least I want to be on the right track). Does anybody see any problem in my plan? Any advice?

Yes, I would give them a call/email and try to clarify on your situation. Might be worth getting an opinion from a migration agent who has experience in dealing with AITSL as well. All the best ?

• Like 1

I may not be able to use my supervised teaching practice to apply for a visa as Secondary teacher:( 

So, I am wheiging wheter it would be better to study a PG (2 years) in teaching - Secondary - or to change my direction with a BA Early years, as it seems a demanded occupation. So, for this purpouse, I would need a BA Early Childhood (4 years full-time). Am I right? I imagine I do nothing with my Bachelor in Music...

I´m just trying to find my best option (in a matter of investment and duration). In my country I have the possibility of studying BA Primary Education in only two years. So my last question is, could I study a Diploma of Early Childhood Education in Oz and became a Pre-school teacher that way (BA Primary+ Diploma Early years - 18 months)?

Thanks for all your comments

6 hours ago, Chris84 said:

I may not be able to use my supervised teaching practice to apply for a visa as Secondary teacher:( 

So, I am wheiging wheter it would be better to study a PG (2 years) in teaching - Secondary - or to change my direction with a BA Early years, as it seems a demanded occupation. So, for this purpouse, I would need a BA Early Childhood (4 years full-time). Am I right? I imagine I do nothing with my Bachelor in Music...

I´m just trying to find my best option (in a matter of investment and duration). In my country I have the possibility of studying BA Primary Education in only two years. So my last question is, could I study a Diploma of Early Childhood Education in Oz and became a Pre-school teacher that way (BA Primary+ Diploma Early years - 18 months)?

Which university was your bachelor of music from? Is it recognized by Australia ? If so you will need to study only 1 more year and do a pgce in early childhood. If it is not recognized, then you will have to do a 4 year degree. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Which university was your bachelor of music from? Is it recognized by Australia ? If so you will need to study only 1 more year and do a pgce in early childhood. If it is not recognized, then you will have to do a 4 year degree. 

I guess I need to check with AITSL if it´s recognized, am I right? They don´t answer my emails, so I will call them to find out. 

On 05/09/2018 at 11:14, Chris84 said:

Check the state nomination 190 pathways. Several state have special pathways for graduates of their state... e.g. VIC only cares about their PhD grads and nurses, and NSW has no special category, but pretty much every other state gives some consideration to anyone who graduated at one of their Universities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2018 at 05:47, Karstedt said:

Check the state nomination 190 pathways. Several state have special pathways for graduates of their state... e.g. VIC only cares about their PhD grads and nurses, and NSW has no special category, but pretty much every other state gives some consideration to anyone who graduated at one of their Universities.

I´ll definitely have a look on that. I am already checking Universities, some require an 8 score on IELST (both in Speaking and Listening) and now that´s an hindrance as I think I might score 7 or 7.5 at the moment. Thanks for the advice

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2018 at 18:47, Jsmull87 said:

Superb information u given  

Can u tell me what should I do? My wife completed bachelor degree in science than after she worked related that but from last 5 years  she taken franchise of preschool  & she Handel all the task related preschool means she actually run own preschool  so how should I apply in 134111 occupation for early childhood manager. Plz guide me as well as how to put file for better chances to immigrate Australia PR  thanks

preschool.kalol@gmail.com

WhatsApp 9624312340

On 18/02/2018 at 18:47, Jsmull87 said:

Can u tell me what should I do? My wife completed bachelor degree in science than after she worked related that but from last 5 years  she taken franchise of preschool  & she Handel all the task related preschool means she actually run own preschool  so how should I apply in 134111 occupation for early childhood manager. Plz guide me as well as how to put file for better chances to immigrate Australia PR  thanks

preschool.kalol@gmail.com

WhatsApp 9624312340