Visa Medical Women over 40

samlab

This is a question for women over 40 who had their medical in Australia.

Had my medical yesterday and I’m a bit upset. I was told I’d only need a medical, chest X-ray and HIV test for my application.

When I called the Bupa booking line, I asked about Mamogram and Pap test but was told they were not required for the medical I needed and there would be “nothing intrusive” I again asked if there would be anything I would need a female doctor for and was told I could ask for one on the day but again there would be “nothing intrusive”.

I had breast screening and Pap test in July  (all clear) so took the results just in case. 

Yesterday the male doctor said he would just need to see my breasts as I’m over 40? No exam just a quick flash basically! I explained what I’d been told when I booked and asked for a female doctor. The best he could do was ask a female to be present but he’d still be the one who had to look! 

A random female (not a nurse)who worked there agreed to sit in the room. I felt I had to go ahead with it but it felt wrong. 

Am I being silly? Did a similar thing happen at your medical? 

I had a brief breast exam at my medical (which is some time ago and I was 40). 

If you specifically asked to see a female Dr. then they should have told you if they did not have a female panel Dr so you could have looked elsewhere.  Not all Dr's are able to do the medicals for immigration purposes and it may be that they don't have a female Dr who is able to undertake the medical for you (but they should have told you).

I don't think you're being silly if you feel uncomfortable, and I appreciate that you didn't feel able to say no.  At least they did get a female chaperone for you.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I had a brief breast examination too, which wasn't on the list - but then again, neither was the urine test or the eye test; I guess it all falls under the "general examination" umbrella. I was offered to have a third person in the room too, but I've seen enough physicians not to care about showing them my breasts (I mean I doubt they see us differently than a vet sees his 100th cow!). However not everyone is comfortable with this, so you're not being silly at all :)  

The Bupa centre was very busy (I'm guessing they always are) so we were directed to the first doctor available. I don't recall being able to pick male or female. I always assumed you could request female/male if you preferred for personal/religious reason though... they could have asked you to wait for the next female doctor available. Sorry to hear your experience was uncomfortable... at least it's out of the way!

• Thanks 1