Confused - aussie citizen with a UK wife

riggsy

Hi All

Just after a bit of help/advise.

I am an Australian Citizen and my 2 children will be registered as Aussie citizens but my wife is not, before we move to Perth do I need to submit her Partner VISA application before we leave the UK or can she arrive in Australia on her UK Passport and then apply for the VISA once in Australia?

Probably a really stupid question but thanks all the same

Cheers Ben

She can do either. Off shore or on shore.

If you are needing to move soon, then on shore would be the option. If you are in the planning stage and not in a big rush, then off shore would be far preferable IMHO.

Off shore processing means it’s geneally approved quicker and would ensure the visa is granted before you leave. On shore has a much longer processing time and would mean potentially a couple of years on a bridging visa waiting for a grant. It can also be harder to gain employment on a bridging visa as many employers don’t understand it.

Personally, I’d apply offshore if able.

Keep in mind you are not the applicant, your wife is. You are the sponsor. 

Your children will need Australian passports to enter Australia if you are going to be getting them citizenship by descent. It’s a pretty straightforward process but will require the Aus parent to attend the Aus high commission in London for an interview for their passports iirc.

6 hours ago, riggsy said:

Hi All

Just after a bit of help/advise.

I am an Australian Citizen and my 2 children will be registered as Aussie citizens but my wife is not, before we move to Perth do I need to submit her Partner VISA application before we leave the UK or can she arrive in Australia on her UK Passport and then apply for the VISA once in Australia?

Probably a really stupid question but thanks all the same

Cheers Ben

I agree with the recommendation to apply offshore, now. On another board a bloke got his in 2 months which is much better and less risky than onshore (is she prepared to lie to DHA and say she is going to be a tourist when she is not?)

You might also want to do some forward planning, and, if you don’t have it already, get Your British citizenship before you leave otherwise you could potentially be cutting off an option you might wish to avail yourself of down the track. 

• Like 1

As Snifter has advised - also note that your wife should enter Australia as a genuine visa holder. She's not a tourist when you enter the country if it is all your intentions to move there with a view to residing. Of course many people do come here on a visitor visa and then submit a partner (etc.) however you do run the risk of being turned away at immigration as not a genuine visa holder.

Obtaining and submitting information for a partner visa is quite laborious. However, if you're organised and have time to sit down and work things through you'll be fine. Get your head around the online immigration site https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login and start making a list of the documents you need. Have a good read of the link Snifter provided. There are also medicals and police clearances to go through. As mentioned it is quite a job however just work methodically through it bit by bit. From application to approval our partner visa (subclass 100) took exactly five months. However, this was approved early last year so timeframes have changed.

It's super easy as mentioned to obtain a passport for your children. Having been through this ourselves (along with the partner visa). You'll need to obtain a their citizenship of descent first and then apply for a passport. As mentioned you will need to be present at the "interview". For us it wasn't an interview - more of a nice chat and a review of all our documentation but we did have to attend in person in London.

All the best!

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Misplaced said:

Pretty much as Ozzie has said. Although my kids and I went to Edinburgh for the chat. 3 hour journey for 20 minute chat?

The kids citizenship should come through pretty quickly. I think ours took 14 days.

Good luck with it allemoji16.png

I feel you pain, we travelled down from Scotland to London and had to spend the night.. all for about 15 to 20 mins! We didn't have the opportunity to go to Edinburgh, that would have been only an hour journey!! When did they start allowing first passports for Aussie citizens (children) in Edinburgh or was this years ago when the had the office there on George St?

Edited by Guest