IELTS Test

Archie

Hi all

I’ve been a qualified social worker in England for just over 7 years working in Child and Adolescent Mental Health and until recently in Early Intervention Psychosis from Adolescents to adults. I recently turned 43 years and to meet required 60 points I took the IELTS and got 8.5, 7, 7 and 8.5 meaning I would not qualify on points. 

I am contemplating retaking IELTS but this time with the aid of intensive classroom tutorials, however I just thought maybe I could get an informed and shared experience in this platform to then proceed. 

All advice is welcome. TIA 

3 minutes ago, PsychNurse said:

Hello,

Maybe you could  try PTE Academic? 

Some find the format easier. Plus you get quicker results.

Thanks for your reply but Association of Australian Social Workers seem to only accept IELTS

Some people find IELTS 'easier' (not sure that's the right word), others find PTE a better test for them to get their head around. It depends what environment you prefer.

IELTS is a strict school exam style setup. It's quite severe, you even need to put your hand up to go to the loo (seriously).

But PTE is a different sort of environment which some people also find challenging: it's essentially a language lab where you're sitting in rather a noisy room talking into a mic, along with a lot of other people doing the same - the PTE test is assessed by a machine, so if you have a strong regional accent then the system sometimes thinks you've got it wrong.

I don't want to totally dismiss PTE, but I would just offer an alternative experience of it as we've heard it from our clients. There's a bit of a myth out there that PTE is a breeze compared to IELTS. It's more the case that they're different: 'horses for courses' as they say.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard 

Thanks, you are right about the IELTS set up which is severe but it did not bother me that much. 

The challenge is that AASW will not accept any other form of testing except IELTS and their benchmark is 8 across the board which they also use to assess for immigration purposes from what I have seen on the forms. 

On 1/3/2018 at 16:46, Richard Gregan said:

...The PTE test is assessed by a machine, so if you have a strong regional accent then the system sometimes thinks you've got it wrong.

Thanks for the heads up on that Richard. May sit IELTS after all then as suffice to say I sound more like Oz from Auf Wiedersehen Pet than Giles Brandreth. 

Archived