Work tourist VISA health insurance question

Brucolino

Hi all,

I have permanent residency(skilled 189) that I activated a couple of months ago but have flown back to spend Christmas with my boyfriend whom I met after I had begun my VISA application process, hence why we did not go through a partner visa. The relationship has since become serious so he is now in the process of applying for a work tourist visa in order to join me. We will both be flying out to Oz together after the new year.

Can someone please advise on what sort of health insurance he would need? He is from Sweden - so I assume the requirements are similar to those of the UK and will not be an issue? Also - is a work tourist visa the best option for us?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply regarding the health coverage.                                                Sorry yes, I meant to say a working holiday visa, the plan for now being to have 12 months. How long would we need to wait before being able to apply for an extension/partner visa? Would I need to reapply with him or is it just him? 

Hi again,

Now that we've both read up more on the specifics for the work holiday visa we noticed that on the Australian Government department of homeaffairs.gov.au webpage it lists Sweden as one of the countries that has an RHCA agreement for medicare cover in Australia. My understanding is that this covers most healthcare aspects such as doctors visits, some prescription medicine and any hospital care.

Would my partner still require tourist insurance if this is the case? Why would insurance be needed at all? This is the link we're looking at:
https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/rhca-visiting-from-sweden

Thank you!

The cover under the agreement is usually for essential care.  Of course (as you'll know) that being under the public system doesn't equate to free care, unless you find a bulk billing Dr. then Dr's visits e.g. need to be paid for.

As I would see it - it's still a 'holiday' visa.  So if the worst happened and he needed to be flown home after an accident, lost luggage/items etc., holiday insurance would cover those things.