Partner visa 820 question

Mattyboy

Hi everyone

Basically I am currently in the U.K. with my Australian partner and we plan to move back to Aus in February and apply for the partner visa. I am just concerened about the fact that I cannot work until my initial Visa runs out (likely the 3 month tourist visa) and the bridging visa kicks in. Is there any way around this or is this the best option, get the shortest tourist visa, apply for the partner visa while in the country and wait for the 3 months to end before I can work on the bridging visa? 

I have already used my whv

thanks in advance 

1 minute ago, Mattyboy said:

Hi everyone

Basically I am currently in the U.K. with my Australian partner and we plan to move back to Aus in February and apply for the partner visa. I am just concerened about the fact that I cannot work until my initial Visa runs out (likely the 3 month tourist visa) and the bridging visa kicks in. Is there any way around this or is this the best option, get the shortest tourist visa, apply for the partner visa while in the country and wait for the 3 months to end before I can work on the bridging visa? 

I have already used my whv

thanks in advance 

You can't work until the Bridging Visa kicks in Simple. No way round it. Be thankful that you can now work while on a Bridging Visa , it doesn't happen like that for anything except the 820. Be aware tht processing times are now 2-4 YEARS for the 820 and employment may not be easy to find on a Bridging Visa. Better to get a 309 offshore then you can work on arrival.

1 hour ago, Mattyboy said:

So if I apply for the 309, Will I automatically be put onto a bridging visa so I can enter the country and work until a decision is made?

No.As above you only get a bridging visa if you apply onshore. If you apply for the 309 you can work once it is granted. However that does mean that you can stay in your home country and work whilst you wait for the grant.