Burleigh Heads, Burleigh Waters or somewhere else?

Guest The Dobsons

Guest The Dobsons

Hello All

We are new to this website, although have been viewing some of the threads posted here over the past few weeks.

We are looking to move to the Gold Coast towards the end of next year (visas/home sale etc being well). We need some advice :twitcy: We have visited OZ in the past and been to Sydney and Cairns, but we would like to live somewhere with a more consistantly warm climate and have some friends who live in Burleigh Waters and have recommended the Gold Coast, so we are concentrating our search in that area.

Does anyone know what Burleigh Waters and Burleigh Heads are like? What house prices are like there and whether there are good transport links to any areas of industry? Was also looking at Beechmont - is this quite a way in land though? looks a bit off the beaten track!?

Totally confused by everything at the moment so any advice much appreciated.

We would also be open to any advice on other areas to live with 3 small children (6 and under) on the Gold Coast. :spinny:

Thank you

Eloise (Lawyer), Craig (Mechanical Engineer), Molly, Sam and Baby George.

Guest The Dobsons

OK - should I take it by the lack of reply that Burleigh Waters or Burleigh Head should be avoided? Or does nobody know about that area?

Sorry, I just don't know where to begin with the whole emigration thing, I just thought that if we could narrow down an area to look at when we visit next year it would help.

Any advice much appreciated!! Help!!

Thank you

Guest jonathan finan

Hi

Im new to this site too and looking for as much info as poss.Ive been to oz 5 times and I think Ive been to where you asking about,cant really remember too much about it so cant really coment.Have you looked at Alexandra headlands,mooloolaba or maroochydore?I told my migration friend thats where I was hoping to settle,she said she loved it up there,if she does you certainly will comming from the uk.right on the beach,what a view!!great restaurants and it feels totally safe.check it out.I'm looking for a sponsor so any info would be grateful if you know of any or any chat regarding aus!

John, leeds,yorkshire

Hi!

I am heading to the Gold Coast with my family. I can't wait. It's brilliant there. Loads of construction work (and other jobs for that matter) as loads of new buildings going up, eg, hospitals, water plants, etc. Heaps for the kids. Days out like Sea World and Movieland as well as tonnes of parks, gorgeous beaches, etc. Good schools.

I love Burleigh. It's not cheap, but neither is the Gold Coast generally. House prices and cost of living. On par with the UK overall in my opinion. The more inland you go the cheaper (generally). But inland is just beautiful too. Like the English countryside in an Australian way!

Have a look on realestate.com.au at houses and areas. I spend a lot of time on there (as well as this website!) gathering info.

A lot of people say the Gold Coast is fake and materialistic. It's different to where I live now but I disagree with these comments. It's absolutely brilliant and I cannot think of a better place to raise my kids.

Does that help?

Kate

Guest The Dobsons

Thank you both for that.

I will certainly research those areas further John.

We weren't expecting it to be cheap, we just want a better quality of life for the children, will definitely check out the real estate website thanks Kate!

Lots of familys head to Burleigh as a start for a few weeks as its central to most things on the coast,most love it but cant afford housing so as saunders says they tend to come inland a bit ,the hinterland side of the highway is cheaper for property,you get much more for your money and personally thats were i would be rather than the coast side.

Cal x

Guest ianinoz69

Hi there, am new to this site but thought I'd offer my advice on Burleigh.

I've lived on the Gold Coast for about 5 years now (originally moved to southside of Brisbane in 2002) and am loving it!

All up the whole coast is pretty hard to beat for a great way of life but Burleigh is definately one of my favourite areas (I've been working at Burleigh Heads for 2 years). Burleigh Heads itself has still got a bit of it's own character and (as yet) hasn't been overrun with ugly high-rises and has it's own defined high street with cafes, small shops and banks etc.

Family homes aren't cheap in/around Burleigh Heads and most of the larger homes tend to be situated a few streets back from the beach but still only a couple of minutes from the beach.

Burleigh Waters is situated further west from Burleigh Heads and is a bit more suburban but it is a well situated suburb with easy access on to the main roads of Reedy Creek Road (which runs east/west from the main Pacific Motorway to/from Burleigh Heads) and Bermuda Street (which runs north to Robina/Southport etc). The houses in this area vary from the water-front "Mac-Mansions" to small 3/4 bed average family homes... depending on the street block sizes can vary quite a bit.

If you wanted to head west of the Pacific Motorway (but still keep in the Burleigh vicinity) you've got Reedy Creek (a mix of older and newer properties) or slightly south-west is Tallebudgera and West Burleigh (a bit older but you'd get larger blocks and more of a country feel).

Anyway the whole Burleigh area is really central for the Gold Coast - you're only 15 mins to Coolangatta airport; 15 mins in to the commercial area of Southport/Bundall; maybe 25 mins to the theme park corridor around Coomera; and on a good day maybe 1-hr to Brisbane (although don't think about commuting it for work... the Gold Coast to Brisbane run is a shocker at peak times!!).

As for public transport there are pretty regular buses along the main routes and there is an extension being worked on at the moment for the rail line - from what I've seen it ends around West Burleigh and runs north to Robina/Helensvale/Brisbane etc.

Feel free to drop me a line if you've got any more questions - definately have a look at Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au for properties.

Good luck!!

Guest EM&M

I love Burleigh Heads, beaches are fab etc but I wouldnt live there. Its kind of the hub for industrial estate and work, my hubby also works down there. We live in Varisty Lakes 5 minutes drive from Burleigh and my hubby goes to work on his push bike takes 15 minutes. As people have mentioned house prices down that area are very high, my friends had just bought 4 bed single story house in Mermaid Waters with pool for $675,000. If you budget is way under this you def have to move inland a bit. Robina is a lovely area with a great shopping centre which they are busy extending and generally has a nice feel about it. As is Varisty Lakes in the newer end, and the school also has an excellant reputation.

Good Luck.

Em x

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi The Dobsons! We live on the Gold Coast too, just into the hinterland from Varsity Lakes where Emma is, at Bonogin, 10 minute drive to Robina Town Centre. We love it out here, it's in the country but only 25 minute drive to the beaches so visit the beach most weekends or at least the parks be the beaches. Living in the hinterland is lovely, it's so quiet and lots of wildlife but so close still to all the facilities we all love to have to hand :)

I see you're a fellow lawyer Eloise, I practice in commercial property and there is tonnes of work here for property lawyers generally even with the downturn in the property and finance markets. I was commuting to Brisbane to work, that lasted 8 months! The travelling was just too much. What do you practice in?

I think the schools here are mostly pretty good, we visited a few before we settled on an area to live to be sure we went to the school we wanted - you might find that the better way to do it rather than choose your area then find the school's not as good as you'd hoped for. What ages are your children?

Hope this helps!

Zoe

Guest The Baggo's

Burleigh Heads is lovely - we have settled in Robina (5 mins drive from Burleigh) and are very happy that we did. I think until you are here and get a feel for everywhere then you will know where you want to be. As others have said further in land you go cheaper properties are. Anywhere with access to those fab beaches always come at a premium! Good luck

Guest cantwait

Hi

Burleigh is lovely but we were there in the Australian winter so I think it may get a bit hectic (trafic wise) in the summer when the tourists are about.

For me I much prefer the hinterland areas. I loved Mudgereeba and Reedy Creek. They are out of the busy coastal area but not too far away.

Karen

X

Guest The Dobsons
Hi The Dobsons! We live on the Gold Coast too, just into the hinterland from Varsity Lakes where Emma is, at Bonogin, 10 minute drive to Robina Town Centre. We love it out here, it's in the country but only 25 minute drive to the beaches so visit the beach most weekends or at least the parks be the beaches. Living in the hinterland is lovely, it's so quiet and lots of wildlife but so close still to all the facilities we all love to have to hand :)

I see you're a fellow lawyer Eloise, I practice in commercial property and there is tonnes of work here for property lawyers generally even with the downturn in the property and finance markets. I was commuting to Brisbane to work, that lasted 8 months! The travelling was just too much. What do you practice in?

I think the schools here are mostly pretty good, we visited a few before we settled on an area to live to be sure we went to the school we wanted - you might find that the better way to do it rather than choose your area then find the school's not as good as you'd hoped for. What ages are your children?

Hope this helps!

Zoe

HI Zoe

I am also commercial and residential property, currently working in the public sector, but I am only an ILEX qualifed fellow - is that recognised out there, not that I was planning to go back to work just yet!

Children are 6, 3 and 6months - school is most important thing to us, on internet liked the look of Beechmont school and Burleigh Heads - hard to tell from web site though. Want a school with performing arts, camps and not too many classes! Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Guest gaynorsimpson

Hi again!

spoke to you a while ago, don't know if you remember, my daughter isn't coming with us because she wont leave her horse! you recommended jimboomba which I have been looking very closely at as I would like another horse. So.. we need as much info as poss now as house sold, hoping to complete end of August and be in oz by October. We are in a holiday club so have 5 weeks accommodation to start with in coolangatta, then we will need short term rental, 3 beds and pool which allows pets until we buy. How far from Brizzy and the coast is jimboomba? it does look very nice. hope to speak soon.

Gaynor, Don and Louis.

Guest Stoner

Beechmont is i5 mins from beech yet you are in the country its lovely a great place for a family to live but you will need two cars.

Hi again!

spoke to you a while ago, don't know if you remember, my daughter isn't coming with us because she wont leave her horse! you recommended jimboomba which I have been looking very closely at as I would like another horse. So.. we need as much info as poss now as house sold, hoping to complete end of August and be in oz by October. We are in a holiday club so have 5 weeks accommodation to start with in coolangatta, then we will need short term rental, 3 beds and pool which allows pets until we buy. How far from Brizzy and the coast is jimboomba? it does look very nice. hope to speak soon.

Gaynor, Don and Louis.

Hiya Gaynor an average weekly rent is between $350-$400 down here on Flagstone ,the bigger plots are upto 3 acers and then they expand to 5 or 10 acers as you go just off the estate.Thankfully we havnt got the problem of hundreds turning up to a viewing and ive always managed to secure the first property we have applied for so far.As long as you rent a property thats res B as most are down here you will be able to put a horse on no problem ,(this is my plan,eventually,lol).

We can be in the city via the centenary highway in about 35mins or via the Mt Lindsey highway in about 40/45 mins ,beaches of the gold coast take about an hour with traffic ,the tip is to avoid the highways,lol ,shout if you need anymore help,

Cal x

p.s ,the last few familys who stayed have settled in Beaudesert known as the horsey capital ,cheap rentals,green grass,friendly people,loads of shops ,just a little further (extra 15mins) out and away from the city.

Guest gaynorsimpson

Hi Cal,

thanks for that. Can't wait now getting really excited!! sounds lovely around your area. Is GC better than the SC? it seems to be recommended for families. Are the schools good? Seems like the property boom is expected to hit jimbbomba at some point.

Guest gaynorsimpson
Beechmont is i5 mins from beech yet you are in the country its lovely a great place for a family to live but you will need two cars.

thanks for that. are you in oz then? need all info we can get at mo!!

Gaynor

Guest gaynorsimpson
Jimboomba is approx 45kms from the centre of Brisbane and just under 70kms from the centre of the Gold Coast (Surfers Paradise).

Have a look on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au for rentals... just had a quick look and it ranges anywhere from $295 to $480 for a 3/4 bed property.

Good luck!

thanks a lot, much appreciated, can't wait.... getting reeeeeally excited!!!!

Guest ozzielass

L J Hooker, Harcourts, Hillsea and Ray White are some of the major Real Estate companies amongst others that operate on the Gold Coast. If you google them you will get their individual sites. Good place to start for prices, local info such as schools etc.

You have to remember that you pay a premium to be close to the water/ocean. The Gold Coast is long and not very wide, if that makes sense, so you don't have to go too far inland to get just that bit further into 'country'.

Mudgeeraba is another spot, other side of Robina. The M1 is the Pacific Highway that runs along the back of the coast and in parts is the main 4 lane highway that connects the Gold Coast to Brisbane, approx. 1-1.15 depending on where you live and takes you down to Sydney in about 10 hrs depending on how much of a leadfoot you are.

www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au is another handy site, the local gold coast city council website that might have some useful info on as well.

Happy House Hunting folks.

Archived