Study in Regional Australia--189 visa

huge-hill

Hi 

I am currently applying for a 189 visa. I have finished my bachelor degree in Canberra, then moved to Adelaide and completed a 2-year master degree. I have been granted 2 courses credits from my previous study in Canberra. My question is that am I eligible to apply for the 5-point of Study in Regional Australia?

I have tried to contact the immigration department by phone, and the staff told me I can get that 5 points. However, I am still worried cause I cannot get their confirmation in writing. Also I have heard that different staff in the department may to give different answers.

Can anyone tell me if I'm eligible for the 5-points.

Huge 

Yes, that is why I am confused. I certainly met the requirement of Australia study, but I am not sure whether I am eligible for regional study point. Someone told me I am not, but when I called the immigration department, a nice lady told me that as long as I studied in Adelaide for 2 years, it is ok. I actually hope to get a written confirmation (either eligible or ineligible) since I don't want to get refused because of inaccurate information. But unfortunately I couldn't find any email address.

Never ever take advice from DIBP,  they are not trained to give any immigration advice and have unfortunately been known on several occasions to give incorrect information.  If you want a more considered opinion, you should speak with a registered migration agent (such as Westly Russell, above)

Archived