190 invitation issued - now feeling terrified?!

scubacam

Evening everyone,

So today we received our official invitation from NSW for the 190 visa and the invitation to apply through skill select came through seconds later. I called my husband straight away , we both literally jumped for joy over the phone but now this evening the mood has turned , I’ve shed some tears and now we are wondering if it’s the right choice - has anyone else felt like this?

We have a little boy who is almost 2 so there are grandparents to consider and my dad is poorly with dilated cardio myopathy (what George Michael had) , my dad wants us to go and give it a shot. It would mean selling our house , shipping animals and leaving everyone behind. I was totally ok with this , until the email arrived and now I’m bricking it - anyone else had this ?

How did you get over it?

• Like 1

It happens. Give yourself some time to think about it, you don't need to rush into it. You can still proceed with the visa as planned in the meantime. Even once it's approved and you have it, then you have several months to activate it, which means travelling to Australia. Even then, once you've activated it you could come back - it's valid for 5 years. So you could simply go on holiday, activate it and come back, before making any final decisions.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

I have the exact same feelings and emotions at the moment. We also received our full invitation to apply this week, excited, scared, nervous etc etc. 

I'm of the opinion let's give it a go, if it works great if not at least we say we tried. Leaving family is the hardest part I think, my wife is very much on the fence to be honest. However my brother in law lives in Australia along with his Australian fiance and our god son so we at least have family out there already. 

Good luck with it all, let me know what you decide to do. It's very daunting having to actually start thinking about selling the house, getting the dog organised, selling cars etc etc but I think it will be worth it. 

It happens. Give yourself some time to think about it, you don't need to rush into it. You can still proceed with the visa as planned in the meantime. Even once it's approved and you have it, then you have several months to activate it, which means travelling to Australia. Even then, once you've activated it you could come back - it's valid for 5 years. So you could simply go on holiday, activate it and come back, before making any final decisions.
Regards,
Richard

Yes absolutely unfortunately I have to pay for the visa on my credit card and if we sell and go I would pay it off then. If we stay I would get a heck of interest before I could pay it off

Do you need to sell and ship everything cutting all ties to the uk? We’re taking a sabbatical from work, renting our house and giving it a year to begin with. It’s been much easier for family to accept as they are hoping we’ll be back in 12 months [emoji16] and that way if it doesn’t work out we haven’t lost anything. We’ll come back to the same jobs, same house and had an amazing adventure. Good luck with it all

• Like 1

Yes we are doing the same so far but if someone stepped in to look after her we’d go that route but still taking cats. It’s so expensive , we’ve done some vaccinations and that cost a lot. But it’s the quarantine the other side which is another plane ride away from our final destination, there’s only one quarantine facility in the whole country!

Hi Stuart and Scubacam

just wondering how long it took from you sending off all the info to NSW after their invitation to actually getting the 190 visa invite? It says up to 12 weeks but seems it might be quicker? I responded to the NSW invite on 31st October (invited on 20th Oct) and wondering if we might expect our 190 invite soon ....

Do you need to sell and ship everything cutting all ties to the uk? We’re taking a sabbatical from work, renting our house and giving it a year to begin with. It’s been much easier for family to accept as they are hoping we’ll be back in 12 months [emoji16] and that way if it doesn’t work out we haven’t lost anything. We’ll come back to the same jobs, same house and had an amazing adventure. Good luck with it all

Hi, great idea and I’m very envious. Unfortunately we do have to sell in order to afford the move especially with the animals. We don’t have much savings and no idea how much we’ll have by the time it’s all ready to go. So we need the equity from our house to get us all there, set us up as I can’t work straight away, few months rent , car etc.
Our animals are absolutely coming so we can’t say to everyone we are just going for a year - they won’t buy it. I also worry about putting that idea in my head and making me not fully settle if that makes sense. If it goes wrong and we need to return I think I’d rather a fresh start anyway ..:. Maybe !5
  • Like 1

We had similar thoughts when we were making our application last year, although our case was simpler as we had no children, pets or family illnesses to consider.

The thought that gave me strength however was that I did not want to become someone who "almost" moved to Australia. Far better to come here, and for it not to work out and return to the UK than to never have given it a go.

I don't know if that perspective will help you, but I found it useful.