Suburb Help Needed Please

Peata Whyted

Hi everyone, first time posting in Poms in Oz, I was a frequent poster in Poms in Perth when we moved over 4 years ago, and got a great deal of advice on there.

Sorry to post yet another suburb related post, I will try and keep it as straight to the point as possible.

We moved to Perth 4 years ago, we have loved it here, but a work opportunity has developed in Sydney so we will be relocating there in January (we have 2 boys 11 & 6).

I will be based in North Ryde, and would like to keep the commute manageable if possible. Happy to use public transport if need be (North Ryde Station is 10 mims walk from the office).

We currently live in the Piara Waters / Harrisdale area of Perth if anyone knows it, which are pretty new suburbs, in fact we are the first to live in the house we rent.

We really like the modern feel of the suburb, and would like something similar in Sydney. Not sure how possible this is (are there many ‘new areas’ being developed?).

The main things we are looking for is a decent area, with a nice community feel, good schools within a commutable distance of work. All of this for circa $700pw :)

I am there in 2 weeks and will be checking out suburbs. Have been told to look at The Hills district (Kellyville, Cherrybrook, Rouse Hill) and the Central Coast area (will see what the drive is like).

Would really appreciate some guidance from you all, tell me where to check out, and where to avoid :)

Pete & Jo.

There are two main new-build areas in Sydney. North-west from the Hills towards Windsor and south-west towards Camden/Narellan. There'd be odd pockets of new houses dotted around other areas but they'd be more expensive as the land would have been previously built on.

Working in North Ryde it's a no-brainer - as has been recommended to you, the Hills district and the new suburbs towards Windsor is the obvious area for you to look at if you want a new build. All the suburbs out that way are perfectly respectable, and I believe the schools are OK. Only issue is the distance from the city, but you won't find a new build cheaper and closer.

• Like 1

100% agree with NN. If you like new build areas and working in North Ryde, then the Hills is a total no-brainer - it’s everything you want: modern housing, reasonable cost, community, schools 

The newest areas are Kellyville/Rouse Hill and around. Transport is currently by bus and not too bad (express buses down the M2 to Macquarie Park and North Ryde), in 18 months time the metro will open which will take you from Rouse Hill to North Ryde in less than 30 minutes

I would look very hard at Rouse Hill. Really feels like a town centre there and growing all the time with lots of good housing around. But most suburbs in that area pretty good

• Like 1

My own recommendation, heavily influenced my my aversion to commuting and driving in Sydney, is to live as close to your workplace as possible, preferably walking distance, which is sometimes attainable. 

A second requirement, for me at least, is to live close to public transport and amenities,  with the caveat (is that the right word) that living walking distance to a station can mean they your street will be a parking lot for commuters. Of course, some streets can become parking lots at weekends when families with 4 or 5 adults all with vehicles are at home. 

Reading about some of the places mentioned I feel like a stranger in my own city! How is construction on that new rail line going?  Here in Surry Hills where I live the construction of the new light railway is interminable. Devonshire St is about a kilometre in length but you'd think it was the distance between Sydney and Perth the way the roadworks are going. 

I work in Parramatta, about 25 min by train from Central 10 Min walk from my home. Parramatta is perhaps the true centre of Sydney with bus and train links everywhere so that could be a suitable area to live though most of the new build seems to be apartments. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 22:48, Peata Whyted said:

The main things we are looking for is a decent area, with a nice community feel, good schools within a commutable distance of work. All of this for circa $700pw

Berowra has a fantastic community. Honestly everybody raves about it. And everybody I know that lives there, absolutely loves it. Very friendly and non-clicky. A great place to raise children. They even have a Berowra Community Newspaper, Berowra Mums Facebook page and a Berowra Community Facebook page, as I said, very much a village community feel. They have a doctor, dentist, church, pub, cafe and shopping centre there. Nearest big shopping centre is 15 minutes away in Hornsby. We have been to the woodchop and fine food festivals there recently. Very pretty too, as near a National Park, so good walks and mountain bike riding and horse riding. Very safe area. Apparently the biggest crime there is somebody having their garden hose stolen!  You can rent a nice house there for $700 per week. Takes about 30 minutes to drive from Berowra to North Ryde. Or you can take a train or bus. We would like to buy a house in Berowra Heights.

Berowra has a fantastic community. Honestly everybody raves about it. And everybody I know that lives there, absolutely loves it. Very friendly and non-clicky. A great place to raise children. They even have a Berowra Community Newspaper, Berowra Mums Facebook page and a Berowra Community Facebook page, as I said, very much a village community feel. They have a doctor, dentist, church, pub, cafe and shopping centre there. Nearest big shopping centre is 15 minutes away in Hornsby. We have been to the woodchop and fine food festivals there recently. Very pretty too, as near a National Park, so good walks and mountain bike riding and horse riding. Very safe area. Apparently the biggest crime there is somebody having their garden hose stolen!  You can rent a nice house there for $700 per week. Takes about 30 minutes to drive from Berowra to North Ryde. Or you can take a train or bus. We would like to buy a house in Berowra Heights.

Thanks very much, we will check it out when we arrive!