Shipping valuable small items

Taff

Hi gang,

We have discovered that a silver teapot, given to the missus when she was six, is now valued in the region of £2800.

What should we do about insuring it when it is transported to the UK? Would just declaring it to the insurers cover it?

8 minutes ago, Taff said:

Thanks, but the trouble is we're going to be pushed to do that, as we want to bring as much day to day living stuff over in our hand / baggage allowance as we can,  when we fly.

Never enough room for everything is there.

The way I would look at it is that the teapot is probably a lot worth more than everything else in your hand luggage combined, so if you have to remove a few items ( that are only cheap items ) to make room for the-teapot then do this. The items you remove they go elsewhere or simply buy these cheaper items when you are there.

What Scottiegirl said. Hand luggage and put stuff inside it. 

Tbh given its value I'd say bringing that with you over a spare shirt or two would be far wiser. It could go missing in shipping on a container. 

Also you can ship an extra holdall or case of clothes for not much money and have it arrive within a few days. You can always ship your extra clothes that way. We did. It was picked up the day before we flew out, arrived the day after we did. Cost about £120 4 years ago. I'd not put the teapot in that though. Defo hand luggage for it.