tourist visa multiple entry small print

juk2017

can you get a 3 month visa and at the end of 90 go to bali for a week then come back to australia for another 3 months and keep doing it on a 12 month multiple entry visa? from the small print you can only stay in australia 12 months out of every 18 months so at the end of 12 months can you get a new visa and does the 12  months out of 18 start again or does it continue if you get a new visa  where you have to find somewhere else to go until you can reset the visa or does this not apply and you can continue ?

Don't know 100% but during the first 12 months you would be within your rights to do so as the visa allows it.  After that, it's possible that immigration would not believe that you are a genuine tourist but trying to remain in the country and the may either refuse further visas or grant a visa with a no further stay condition.  You might need to run it by a registered migration agent.

I believe the maximum of 12 months within 18 months is only applicable if condition 8558 is imposed on your visa.

For example, I was in Aus for 2 years (WHVs) and then got an evisitor straight after which allowed me to come and go.

There was no 8558 condition imposed so technically I could have applied for another evisitor.

But the 12 months is in ANY 18 month period (doesn't reset) so if you get a visitor visa (12 months) with condition 8558 and you've spent quite a bit of time in Australia then it's very unlikely that they will grant another tourist visa right after.