Partner Visa 820 - Bridging Visa

Emma Hadley

I'm currently residing in Australia on a 417 Working Holiday Visa, which expires in December 2017. My partner and I are gathering all of our evidence for our Partner Visa (820) so that we can submit it in the next couple of weeks. I'm just waiting for my birth certificate to arrive from the UK and then we should be good to go. I'm hearing different things all the time about what happens after the visa is lodged, so just wanted some clarification if possible please. I know that a Bridging Visa A will be granted so that I can remain in the country whilst my visa is processing - will this come into effect when we lodge the application in a couple of weeks or when my current visa expires in December? Also what will my working rights be on this visa? I've read on these forums that you will have the same working rights as you had on your previous visa (on my WHV I can only work for the same company for a maximum of 6 months) but other people have said that you will have full working rights - please could someone tell me which one is true? My temp agency said something about asking immigration to lift the 6 month restriction if an employer wanted to keep you on when you're on your bridging visa. Is this true? I'm happy temping at the moment but it will be great to be able to say to a potential employer that I do have full working rights on my bridging visa if they did want to keep me on past the 6 months.

Any help would be much appreciated.