Backpackers

A warning i guess.

Passed a young female traveler today in rural Victoria said to my partner we'd offer her a lift if she was still there after we'd finished our business in town. Said traveler was still there when we finished in town. So we stopped to offer her a lift a lone female travelling with a dog. Happy to offer her a lift sadly she was looking to go further than we were going. It worries me that young people continue to hitchhike in this day an age given how many nutters there are out there. This traveler was a young German female  back packer travelling alone with a dog. We advised her to be careful her answer was oh i have pepper spray. Given the likes of Ivan Milat was able to take down couples etc. It worries me that young people continue to take the risk in doing this sort of thing. Surely the cost of a bus ticket isn't worth the risk. i'm all for adventure etc. But surely being safe should trump all that. I know of the young girl we saw today was my daughter i'd be most horrified to think of her taking a risk like this. Anyone's thoughts ???

Have seen female backpackers looking for a lift a few times at night near where we live. (We live rural and all around us is agricultural fruit/veg, so lots of backpacking jobs). No public transport up here. I think it's only natural to have concerns / worry, given the cases that have been in the news - thinking of this one - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-25/sa-man-found-guilty-of-six-charges-related-to-salt-creek-attack/8383770

Guest The Pom Queen

It's also a worry for people picking them up as well. You don't know if they are going to claim rape or pull a knife on you. It's a tough one this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz