Opening 489 Visa

alisongw

Hi been following this board for a while, my husband and our family have obtained the 489 visa of which we need to enter South Australia by February 2018. Problem we're having is we haven't sold our U.K. Property at present! I know still some months left but I was wondering can we enter Australia open our visa and come back till our house sells. Also will it have to be all of us (including children or just hubby and me) thankyou in advance x

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

With the 489 visa being a temporary visa for 4 years, would anyone know when those 4 years start from.

Is it from the date the visa is granted or would it be from the date you need to enter Australia by (so Feb2018 in the example of alisongw above)

Many thanks in advance

• Like 1

With the 489 visa being a temporary visa for 4 years, would anyone know when those 4 years start from.
Is it from the date the visa is granted or would it be from the date you need to enter Australia by (so Feb2018 in the example of alisongw above)
Many thanks in advance

Hi
it is from when visa is issued as we have to leave Australia by April 2021 if we have not applied for permanent (and been successful) . [emoji15] hence panicking about getting there and starting our journey of living and working so we are closer (if we love it, I know some people don't) to apply for permanent.

• Thanks 1

I think you are both confusing visas. 

A 489 is a provisional visa. Not a temporary visa and there is a massive difference between a temp visa such as a 457 and a provisional visa 489. 

A 489 automatically allows permanent residence by meeting the obligations of living in a regional area for two years and working in a regional area for one year. On the other side a temporary 457 visa has no automatic path to permanent. So, Alisongw, if you have a 447, you have no right to remain beyond the duration of the 457 and you need to be very aware of the restrictions a 457 presents. 

• Like 1

I think you are both confusing visas. 
A 489 is a provisional visa. Not a temporary visa and there is a massive difference between a temp visa such as a 457 and a provisional visa 489. 
A 489 automatically allows permanent residence by meeting the obligations of living in a regional area for two years and working in a regional area for one year. On the other side a temporary 457 visa has no automatic path to permanent. So, Alisongw, if you have a 447, you have no right to remain beyond the duration of the 457 and you need to be very aware of the restrictions a 457 presents. 

Hi
Thankyou for your reply on our visa information that we need to hand in when we arrive it says we have to leave by April 2021, this is were I thought we had to apply for permanent? Could you please advise as we thought this was the case and now with your reply we would feel more secure if your information is correct. [emoji4] thankyou again for your reply you are helping us understand the visa requirements.

Hi
Thankyou for your reply on our visa information that we need to hand in when we arrive it says we have to leave by April 2021, this is were I thought we had to apply for permanent? Could you please advise as we thought this was the case and now with your reply we would feel more secure if your information is correct. [emoji4] thankyou again for your reply you are helping us understand the visa requirements.

However as I was thinking just been on the Dibp site which states

This visa lets you and your family:

stay in Australia for up to 4 years
live, work and study in a specified region of Australia
travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid.
apply for permanent residency, if eligible, through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887).

Therefore we have to apply for a 887 visa as long as we have lived and worked as stated on our visa in a regional area for two years.

Thankyou in advance for any replys

your last post is correct. So, your visa has a condition that requires you live and work in a regional area. Live two years and work one year. If you satisfy this you apply for the 887 and automatically gain PR. 

Thankyou for confirming this. [emoji846] do you know if there is any age limit to this 887 visa as I have looked and cannot find any. Thankyou in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we initially were told eight months back in march but as I say it was very quick !! We just need to sell house which is proving harder than we thought lol

you can stay for four years from visa granted on a temporary visa of which 489 is but after two years you can apply for permanent, if you have lived in required area for two years and worked for one year in visa granted occupation. 

Goodluck x