Birth certificate different name

Rob-oz

Hi all, 

I've submitted my documents to TRA via an agent, and I'm expecting (hopefully) a positive outcome within the next few weeks.

It dawned on me that although my birth certificate has a different name to everything else, I don't think this was ever done legally.

I'm 37 years old now, I have only ever been known by my current name since starting school, I have never had to mention my brith name other than when I joined the army, and I simply then had to fill in a form to state what name I wished to be known by (perhaps this changed it legally?)

My medical card, and school documents I may still have, national insurance card, HM Forces papers, driving license, passport etc all use my current name, only my birth certificate is different.

Is this likely to cause an issue? Should I be looking to get this registered by DeedPoll now just in case, or would it be acceptable as is considering I've only ever used my current surname (first and middle names remain the same)

Thanks

On 9/3/2017 at 16:44, Rob-oz said:

Hi all, 

I've submitted my documents to TRA via an agent, and I'm expecting (hopefully) a positive outcome within the next few weeks.

It dawned on me that although my birth certificate has a different name to everything else, I don't think this was ever done legally.

I'm 37 years old now, I have only ever been known by my current name since starting school, I have never had to mention my brith name other than when I joined the army, and I simply then had to fill in a form to state what name I wished to be known by (perhaps this changed it legally?)

My medical card, and school documents I may still have, national insurance card, HM Forces papers, driving license, passport etc all use my current name, only my birth certificate is different.

Is this likely to cause an issue? Should I be looking to get this registered by DeedPoll now just in case, or would it be acceptable as is considering I've only ever used my current surname (first and middle names remain the same)

Thanks

Did you have any issues when you first applied for a passport?  This is the same situation as my ex-husband.  His step dad never legally adopted him but when he applied for his first passport he had to jump through hoops to provide supporting evidence as to why his name was different.  He paid for a stat dec after that which accompanied all those documents if it was ever questioned.  All his official documentation now says Joe Bloggs, formerly known as Joe Smith.

53 minutes ago, northernbird said:

Did you have any issues when you first applied for a passport?  This is the same situation as my ex-husband.  His step dad never legally adopted him but when he applied for his first passport he had to jump through hoops to provide supporting evidence as to why his name was different.  He paid for a stat dec after that which accompanied all those documents if it was ever questioned.  All his official documentation now says Joe Bloggs, formerly known as Joe Smith.

Hi, I've never had issues regarding any type of ID, I've only ever been known by my current surname ever at the very start of primary school which I was probably registered with my medical card at the time which was also my current name. 

Im pretty sure my mum used my known name since I was about 2 years old.. 

2 hours ago, Rob-oz said:

Hi, I've never had issues regarding any type of ID, I've only ever been known by my current surname ever at the very start of primary school which I was probably registered with my medical card at the time which was also my current name. 

Im pretty sure my mum used my known name since I was about 2 years old.. 

the you possibly won't have any issues going forward.  He had issues when he applied for a passport which followed him when we got married and had our children.  He was born in 1968 so perhaps things have changed in recent years.

2 minutes ago, northernbird said:

the you possibly won't have any issues going forward.  He had issues when he applied for a passport which followed him when we got married and had our children.  He was born in 1968 so perhaps things have changed in recent years.

Yeah its an odd one, nobody has ever questioned my name.

I suppose the worst case is that I get asked for something and I have to get something legally done here that would just delay things..

Thanks for your help :)

I had this problem when I applied for a full birth certificate and realised my middle name was never registered.  All my current ID, like driving licence passport, marriage certificate etc show my middle name.  I got my middle name officially added through one of those deed poll websites and uploaded the certificate to my immi account.  Case officer didn't come back asking for more information and visas were granted a few months later.

• Like 1