600 Visa second year

bridgie

Hi one and all,

Thought i'd give an up to date account of obtaining the second year on our 600 visa. Like many of us we were given a multi entry 600 visa for one year (with a year starting from the date of each entry) and although in essence it should be straightforward to stretch this to a second year we were very nervous doing this.

Our current 600 visa runs out on the 30th August. We left Melbourne Friday afternoon and returned early Sunday 27th  morning filled with trepidation. There were no problems, no questions, no hold ups. if you are thinking of doing it,,, do it.

For the record we flew from Melbourne to Christchurch with hand luggage only. Arrived midnight NZ time and stayed at the Commodore Airport Hotel which has a free 24 hour shuttle. The hotel was fantastic, it must be good because NASA and the American Antarctic Survey Dept, use this hotel as a base before they fly "Even further down underer". The hotel give you a free bus pass to get into Christchurch and the bus stop is outside the hotel. Christchurch Airport opens 4am and we caught a 6am flight back to melbourne arriving back at 8.10am. The hotel has a good restaurant, pool, gym. The shuttle is about a 5mins journey from the airport.

Coming back to Australia we were convinced we would be stopped by immigration at every stage but, we sailed through automatic passport control, past the beedy eyes of the Immigration officers, through customs (The arrival card you fill out says i am a tourist staying for......in our case 1year) The officer flicked through it and because we had nothing to declared waved us straight through. Massive relief to get another year.

If your 600 visa has the facility for multi entry, you will be able to use this method to extend the period granted. Make sure that you return to Oz before the final date of entry stated on your visa. If you are a Brit you are automatically granted a 6 month tourist visa on arrival to NZ.

Watch this space next year as we apply for an extension or have to go off shore to be granted another period. In August next year we will have been waiting 31 months so I don't expect we will have our 143 visa so it will interesting to see what happens.

A tired, but, happy Bridgie

• Like 2

Now realise this is in the wrong section, Admin please move if you want. In my defence I was very tired yesterday, however, today with 364 days to go before the next visa needed I can live with it. Spring starts next week in Australia and i'm hoping someone will turn up the heat a bit in Victoria..................Jeez It's cold.

On 27 August 2017 at 08:00, bridgie said:

Hi one and all,

Thought i'd give an up to date account of obtaining the second year on our 600 visa. Like many of us we were given a multi entry 600 visa for one year (with a year starting from the date of each entry) and although in essence it should be straightforward to stretch this to a second year we were very nervous doing this.

Our current 600 visa runs out on the 30th August. We left Melbourne Friday afternoon and returned early Sunday 27th  morning filled with trepidation. There were no problems, no questions, no hold ups. if you are thinking of doing it,,, do it.

For the record we flew from Melbourne to Christchurch with hand luggage only. Arrived midnight NZ time and stayed at the Commodore Airport Hotel which has a free 24 hour shuttle. The hotel was fantastic, it must be good because NASA and the American Antarctic Survey Dept, use this hotel as a base before they fly "Even further down underer". The hotel give you a free bus pass to get into Christchurch and the bus stop is outside the hotel. Christchurch Airport opens 4am and we caught a 6am flight back to melbourne arriving back at 8.10am. The hotel has a good restaurant, pool, gym. The shuttle is about a 5mins journey from the airport.

Coming back to Australia we were convinced we would be stopped by immigration at every stage but, we sailed through automatic passport control, past the beedy eyes of the Immigration officers, through customs (The arrival card you fill out says i am a tourist staying for......in our case 1year) The officer flicked through it and because we had nothing to declared waved us straight through. Massive relief to get another year.

If your 600 visa has the facility for multi entry, you will be able to use this method to extend the period granted. Make sure that you return to Oz before the final date of entry stated on your visa. If you are a Brit you are automatically granted a 6 month tourist visa on arrival to NZ.

Watch this space next year as we apply for an extension or have to go off shore to be granted another period. In August next year we will have been waiting 31 months so I don't expect we will have our 143 visa so it will interesting to see what happens.

A tired, but, happy Bridgie

Hi Bridgie, which section were you supposed to post in?! 

I've got a 3 year 600 but with a 12 months in any 18 months condition applied - bummer!  However hoping to get onto the new temp visa ASAP when it materialises. 

Without trawling back through your history, what are you doing about accommodation whilst you wait for your 143 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, Sue

• 2 weeks later...

On 29/08/2017 at 08:02, Suzyq said:

I've got a 3 year 600 but with a 12 months in any 18 months condition applied - bummer!  However hoping to get onto the new temp visa ASAP when it materialises. 

Without trawling back through your history, what are you doing about accommodation whilst you wait for your 143 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, Sue

Hey guys,

Just curious, is the 3 year 600 visa renewable for another 3 years? I've had a look around the DIBP website and there's not much info...almost feels like they are not encouraging people to come on this visa. It's relatively cheaper right?

Our story is basically that I'm looking to get my parents the visa. They've not decided whether to make the move permanently and they're both above 70. They would like to spend time with the grandchildren but probably move back when it's too cold or hot(or if they need a break...:)). So the 12 months in every 18 might just be the solution for now. My sibling and I are both PR's here and therefore we meet the balance-of-family test.

1. Can the 3 year 600 class visa, which allows one to stay for 12 in every 18 month period, be renewed? If it can be renewed, is there a limit to the number of times renewal is possible?

2. Is the application straightforward? Are character reports and health examinations required?

3. Bridgie, why did you just get 12 months when Suzyq was given 3 years?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I've tried looking around but haven't found any clear answers. Since you both have immediate real life experience in applying for this visa...would really appreciate your advice. 

Apologies, only just seen this reply. We are renting until we receive our PR'S. There is a lot of expense to buying and possibly having to sell a house before you are resident. Just our choice, others have approached it differently.

Bridgie

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 1

On 9 September 2017 at 02:29, JustUs said:

Hey guys,

Just curious, is the 3 year 600 visa renewable for another 3 years? I've had a look around the DIBP website and there's not much info...almost feels like they are not encouraging people to come on this visa. It's relatively cheaper right?

Our story is basically that I'm looking to get my parents the visa. They've not decided whether to make the move permanently and they're both above 70. They would like to spend time with the grandchildren but probably move back when it's too cold or hot(or if they need a break...:)). So the 12 months in every 18 might just be the solution for now. My sibling and I are both PR's here and therefore we meet the balance-of-family test.

1. Can the 3 year 600 class visa, which allows one to stay for 12 in every 18 month period, be renewed? If it can be renewed, is there a limit to the number of times renewal is possible?

2. Is the application straightforward? Are character reports and health examinations required?

3. Bridgie, why did you just get 12 months when Suzyq was given 3 years?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I've tried looking around but haven't found any clear answers. Since you both have immediate real life experience in applying for this visa...would really appreciate your advice. 

Hi Justus, I'm sorry I don't know if you can reapply for the temporary visa (600) but I don't see anything to say you can't. There are a number of conditions that can be applied to the visa when it's granted and its seems to me, arbitrarily so! I know there's a no further stay condition but I really don't know what that means. I think it might be worth discussing with an agent, they really are worth a few bob to put you straight.

Re character reports and health examination, I provided neither. We are waiting on a permanent contributory parent visa but it's looking like. 3/4 year wait on that. I intend getting the new temporary visa when (if) it materialises in November. Not too much is known about it yet but it looks like it could be the answer to our 3/4 year wait and possibly your parents position too.

16 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Hi Justus, I'm sorry I don't know if you can reapply for the temporary visa (600) but I don't see anything to say you can't. There are a number of conditions that can be applied to the visa when it's granted and its seems to me, arbitrarily so! I know there's a no further stay condition but I really don't know what that means. I think it might be worth discussing with an agent, they really are worth a few bob to put you straight.

Re character reports and health examination, I provided neither. We are waiting on a permanent contributory parent visa but it's looking like. 3/4 year wait on that. I intend getting the new temporary visa when (if) it materialises in November. Not too much is known about it yet but it looks like it could be the answer to our 3/4 year wait and possibly your parents position too.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Yes, the new parent visa may be the best option once it's announced.