Shipping to Tasmania

libbye

Hi there. I've split this out from the emigrating stories thread as that really wasn't the place for this sort of question. 

I've moved your post to our transport and shipping forum and given it a new title that mentions the shipping to Tasmania. 

Cheers

snifter

15 hours ago, libbye said:

This subject may have been covered before so if it has I apologise.   If anyone has emigrated from europe directly to Tasmania with all their possessions could you give me an idea of cost please.  

I had a 4 storey 4 bedroomed house 40 ft container and the cost was just over twelve thousand pounds  7 years ago. The insurance was with the shipping company which was much more expensive and I would receive quotes insurance wise from a variety of different insurance companies.  Would we move the same volume again? yes!  particularly linens which fit our  Australian beds, kitchen equipment , Le Creuset etc, bone china, cut glasses.  We felt our European belongings are of a much higher quality or we would have to pay double, coupled with the fact we would have to go shopping again which we are not partial to lol  -  Starting from scratch  with items from KMart, Op Shops etc  (No Ikea here in Tasmania although they can post certain items )  are more than possible and good value. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your comprehensive reply which I've only just seen.  Our belongings would be coming from France but I don't think the cost would be much different.  My husband insists we bring as much as possible as he says if you have a container you might as well fill it!  We still haven't come to a conclusion whether we return to Aus after 12 years of living in France or stay here or go to the uk.  Age is not on our side so a decision as to be made soon whilst we're still standing!!!  I have one daughter who lives in Cairns and another in Melbourne but I favour Tasmania simply because it's a similar climate to what we're used to (never been but have read up a lot).  Not so many creepy crawlies either.  A lot of expense is involved and furniture is expensive in Aus we know.  Wish we had a crystal ball.

• Like 1