Skilled Visa - 189 - Accountant

JH_2017

Hi all, I am a newbie and this forum has provided me a wealth of information already - thanks.

We are at the start of the process, so gathering a lot of information at the moment.

I have a few questions:

(1) Has anyone done skilled assesment for an accountant/ management accountant? What does it involve?

(2) Anyone who has applied for a 189 as Accountant / MA, how long did the process take you? I appreciate evrry situation is different...but I read some professions are processed quicker than others?

TIA

Hi @JH_2017, have you found out how many points you would get? As mentioned, it is a very long wait for anyone with 70 points or less at the moment. 

For the skills assessing body, you can look accountant up on DIBPs occupation list, and next to it you'll find all the institutes. I did mine (both skills and work experience assessment) through CPA and it took about 20 working days.

Have you taken an english test yet? The CPA (and therefore I presume the other accountancy bodies) require you to have obtained a certain pass level in an English exam - normally either IELTS or Pearson (unfortunately being English or having English GCSEs / A Levels won't be enough). What test you can take and what score you must obtain will be noted on the accountancy body's website.

Just to give you an idea of timings - I took my English test in the last week of April, applied for my skills assessment at the start of May, lodged an EOI (75 points for 189 and 80 points for 190) in early June and I'm still yet to receive an invite! It has taken longer at this time of year because accountants filled up their 189 quota for the 2016/2017 year back in April, and so weren't eligible to be invited again until the new year kicked off on 1st July. Things are moving again now, but slowly. There will be a massive backlog to get through.

In short, calculate your points first to make sure you're even eligible - and then be prepared for a lengthy process!

Best of luck :)

Thanks RavenBlue and Very story,

Very helpful.

Hope you don't mind some more questions...

I haven't done the English Test yet, but in order to achieve the 70 or more, I am seeing that one needs to get full marks on the english test if possible.

In terms of eligibility, my points should bring me up to 70 or more from what I have calculated, depending on what I score on the english test.

From what I understand the english test is in sections, right, so you get scored on tge different areas and then all added up? 

So does the accounting body give you a certain amount of points based on your experience, or is it a case of your get awarded a certain amount of point if you meet all the requirements?

Thanks,

JH

Correct the English test is split into reading, writing, listening and speaking. You must do well across the board, not just on average. CPA requires you to get 7.0 in each section of IELTS, or 65 in each section of Pearson to gain a successful skills assessment. If you also want to gain the maximum 20 points for superior english further down the route in your actual visa application, this is upped to 8.0 / 79 in each section.

The accounting body does not give you points, it merely verifies what you are claiming. If you are going to be claiming to be a chartered accountant with 5 years post-qual experience in your EOI, the accounting body will look at your qualification certificate, exam results, contract of employment, verified roles and responsibilities, etc and validate that you have the skills that you claim to have. You then take this and use it to prove to DIBP that you can claim 'x' points for qualifications and 'x' points for work experience etc. You have to get a successful skills assessment before you can lodge an EOI.

I would suggest contacting CPA if you are unsure about anything, and also thoroughly investigating the visa section on the main DIBP website. This will tell you everything you need to know about claiming points, submitting an EOI, etc.

• Like 1

Choose the 190 Sate Nomination visa. It is the same, you just have to pick a state and live there for 2 year as a moral obligation. Doing it this way gets you 5 extra points. I was struggling to hit 60 points as an engineer. I had 55. I chose NSW as my state for the 190 and got an invite within a week and lodged my visa. The 5 points could make all the difference

Edited by Jays

25 minutes ago, JH_2017 said:

Thanks Jays, I haven't read up on the 190 much yet, but will look into it.

Does it also allow PR after a set period of time? And is it easy to get a mortgage on it?

Thanks,

It is an automatic PR visa the same as a 189. However, it needs a state to sponsor you and be aware a number of states wont sponsor 190's but will instead offer a 489 which is a state sponsored provisional visa which has a requirement that you live in a regional area for 2 years and work in a regional area for one year in order to gain PR

I would also add that its not a given that you will get state sponsorship even if that state has your occupation on their list. States still pick only the best applicants and only at a rate which meets their needs in that occupation. I reiterate my earlier statement that I applied for NSW state sponsorship as an accountant with 75+5 points (so a total of 80 points with state sponsorhip) back in early june and have not heard a thing. Now I'm sure 80 points is amongst the highest that people will be applying with - so NSW appear to just not be sponsoring accountants at the moment. It might be a different case for engineers, but I would not get your hopes up as an accountant.

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 17:50, RavenBlue said:

Hi @JH_2017, have you found out how many points you would get? As mentioned, it is a very long wait for anyone with 70 points or less at the moment. 

For the skills assessing body, you can look accountant up on DIBPs occupation list, and next to it you'll find all the institutes. I did mine (both skills and work experience assessment) through CPA and it took about 20 working days.

Have you taken an english test yet? The CPA (and therefore I presume the other accountancy bodies) require you to have obtained a certain pass level in an English exam - normally either IELTS or Pearson (unfortunately being English or having English GCSEs / A Levels won't be enough). What test you can take and what score you must obtain will be noted on the accountancy body's website.

Just to give you an idea of timings - I took my English test in the last week of April, applied for my skills assessment at the start of May, lodged an EOI (75 points for 189 and 80 points for 190) in early June and I'm still yet to receive an invite! It has taken longer at this time of year because accountants filled up their 189 quota for the 2016/2017 year back in April, and so weren't eligible to be invited again until the new year kicked off on 1st July. Things are moving again now, but slowly. There will be a massive backlog to get through.

In short, calculate your points first to make sure you're even eligible - and then be prepared for a lengthy process!

HI RavenBlue,

As a fellow accountant...

The agent I am working through said that I am eligible to apply for the 189 visa, based on my CIMA qualification. However, I looked on the CPA website as you mentioned, and on there it states that you need 7 core areas, including Business Law and Economics. I did not have these 2 subjects as such. It is something you touch on in CIMA, but not separate subjects as such.

I will be calling the agent later to understand, but seeing as you have gone through the skills assessment, can you give me advise? Did you have these 2 items as separate subjects?

Thanks! 

Hi @JH_2017, certain overseas courses are seen to be pretty much equivalent to Australian accountancy degrees. I think (don't quote me on it as I can't seem to find a link!) that all UK chartered courses (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc) will be deemed to have covered all the required topics. I am ACA, and all I had to provide was my qualification certificate plus exam transcripts and I had no further questions.

You might still want to double check though, I'm not sure exactly of the differences in topics between ACA and CIMA. 

@laevans - you're going through as Management Accountant aren't you? Is your husband CIMA? Maybe you could shed some light :)

Edited by RavenBlue

4 hours ago, plewis24555 said:

Hi All. I noticed that the occupation ceiling for accountants has increased for 17/18! Does anyone have any idea if the points requirement will reduce as a result?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

My agent did not mention anything about that. She just said they are surprised every year that accountants are still on the list as apparently it has been considered to remove accountant from the list previously.

As far as I havr been told, accountants still need to achieve 70 points.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2017 at 17:50, RavenBlue said:

Have you had an invite yet ravenblue?

Edited by JH_2017

3 minutes ago, RavenBlue said:

Yes I got an invite in the last round (16th August) :)

Have you submitted your skills assessment? 

Oh well done, you must be so relieved! Although I know it still is not the end!

How often are these 'rounds'?

I am doing my PTE next Tuesday and then hoping to send off skills assessment as soon as I get my score,  hopfully end of Aug. (hoping I get 79 all round first time!!)

On 04/08/2017 at 10:13, RavenBlue said:

Hi @JH_2017, certain overseas courses are seen to be pretty much equivalent to Australian accountancy degrees. I think (don't quote me on it as I can't seem to find a link!) that all UK chartered courses (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc) will be deemed to have covered all the required topics. I am ACA, and all I had to provide was my qualification certificate plus exam transcripts and I had no further questions.

You might still want to double check though, I'm not sure exactly of the differences in topics between ACA and CIMA. 

@laevans - you're going through as Management Accountant aren't you? Is your husband CIMA? Maybe you could shed some light :)

Hey I'm so sorry for not replying sooner I have just seen this as not getting the notifications through! 

Anyway my husband is CIPFA, and some of his core areas we were unsure but when you g t your transcripts from your course it sometimes all crosses over, but CPA will confirm all this! Did you do a uni degree in accounting? As these subjects also count towards core subjects when CPA assess you! 

The more info you can get together the better and your agent if using one should be able to cross reference your transcript s etc! Xx