What wage to expect from CNC manufacturing/production work?

Guest mikeandtheresa

Guest mikeandtheresa

We're in the first stages of looking inot a move to Aus.I'll be coming as a Metal Machinist (first clss) and am trying to find out what wage to expect.Does any body work in this industry and could give me any info?

Have looked at various job sites in Aus and only one mentioned a wage,$19 an hour.Seems a bit low.

Any help greatly recieved.

Mike.

I'm not in that field of employment myself , but $19/ hr would be about average I guess for that kind of employment . I earn about that as a hospital security officer and my wife is on about $14/ hr as a sales assistant in a large so called prestigious department store .

Best of luck .

Dave

Guest mikeandtheresa

Really!!

Thats a bit of a bummer, as he gets more like equilavent of $30 dollars here in the UK - because he has lts of experience on top of his apprentiship.

How far does this wage go? We are a family of 3 and live off his wage alone - could we do that in Aus do you think?

Thanks very much for your reply by the way!

Depending on where you are & what you're doing I'd say $20-25/hour would be the go. Definately not $30 unless working in the mining sector.

Your money will go further, basically you'll get a similar standard of living but a far superior lifestyle (in my humble opinion :).

Working in machine shops & factories generally can be challenging in summer, most don't have any aircon - strictly for the office bods. You could expect high forties, high humidity even higher if you're near to hot processes, but you get used to it.

mikeand theresa,

I think fatpoms pretty much spot on there . I was an apprentice telecomms engineer in the UK with 18 years post training experience . I thought I would get a good wage here too , BIG SHOCK !! . I had to take a 50% wage drop to get a similar job .

Most families have 2 working parents here , it's just the way it has top be .

Best wishes ,

Dave

Archived