You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

DavLT

Moving with Teens? Suburb/School Consideration and Public Transpo

Hi, moving this December (under 457), but still confused with narrowing down suburbs, primarily due to options for secondary schools. A lot of folks suggest the south east areas like Mount/Glen Waverley areas, however, of course, rent can shoot out pretty quickly there and we're looking for a 2-3BR for a fam of 3, the 3rd being a 13+yo teen.

Any feedback on finding schools for teens? We're not looking for "top academic" type of environment but those schools that can offer the most experiences for our kid.

Right now, Wantirna, Box Hill, MV areas are like the back-up, but we're a getting conflicting reviews on northern areas (Greensborough, Coolaroo, Bundoora, etc.)

Of course, safety and lack of gang proliferation is key.

CBD access isn't a major priority as long as there are nearby transport options as I'll be telecommuting.

Cheers.

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

I've just moved to the Mount Waverley area and I'm a bit of a fan. I've lived in a few suburbs around Melbourne over the years and I wish I'd moved here earlier but the truth is that when you get locked into schools you tend to stay put. The train line here is a real bonus as is the proximity of Monash Freeway and there's a good local shopping square as opposed to a shopping mall. What I would advise is don't be put off by an older house. They can look a bit daggy but they can be very comfortable and be a bit cheaper to rent.

• Like 1

Thanks @Melbpom. Yeah, with our previous rental (not in AU), we ended up staying a decade due to school catchment/proximity. 

We've just moved out of Croydon. We were in what's classed as Croydon North, it's a pretty big suburb. We liked it, rent is a bit cheaper than the suburbs closer in, like Box Hill where I worked, yet transport into the city is an easy train ride of around 45 minutes. Head out and the Dandenong Mountains are on your doorstep, as are the Yarra Valley wineries. Lovely country side and a choice of schools depending on whether you want to pay for Grammar or use the state option.

53 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

We've just moved out of Croydon. We were in what's classed as Croydon North, it's a pretty big suburb. We liked it, rent is a bit cheaper than the suburbs closer in, like Box Hill where I worked, yet transport into the city is an easy train ride of around 45 minutes. Head out and the Dandenong Mountains are on your doorstep, as are the Yarra Valley wineries. Lovely country side and a choice of schools depending on whether you want to pay for Grammar or use the state option.

Thanks for the info, why did you guys move?

Thanks for the info, why did you guys move?

We're heading back to the UK. If we had stayed in Melbourne then we would've looked to be in the eastern suburbs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Katiolowe
        Hi
        I have recently submitted my EOI for ICT Business Analysis on the 189 Visa. All good I have the 60 points, but have recently learnt that they are only inviting for 70 points and above. I have only submitted with RPL from ACS, but was wondering if I could do a certification and get an extra 10 points? My question is really what level of certification can I claim the secondary level education for? Do I need a Bachelors? or would a BCS Certificate in Business Analysis Practice at practitioner level suffice? Or do I need to do the full BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis?
        What do they mean by secondary level education?

Thanks,
        Kate
      • By KPG
        Hello,
        This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.
        We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.

My question's and concerns are:
        - How expensive would schooling and health cover be?
        - Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?
        - What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?

Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
      • By Alandes
        Hi all PomsInOz,

We are moving fairly soon to the Bunbury area and are looking at schools in the area. Kids are 4, 6 and 9 and to be honest I don't even know where to start. Help!
        Happy to fee-pay if that means better education. My 9 year old is introvert and likes his maths, my 6 year old is pretty good at reading and writing, would like to be an 'author' and write bout  science, that tells you enough, and my 4 year old hasn't gone to school yet but loves scribbeling and singing and drawing....

Any good advice is welcome.

AlandEs
      • By Victorexpact

Hi everyone,

I’m about to submit my visa application (189) today but I just got one last doubt on the education history part:

I graduated from a Bachelor degree (Electrical Engineering) back in France and it is my Nominated occupation for the 189 visa. (Engineers Australia assessed my skills only based on my undergrad qualifications in France).
        Now, I am currently studying a Master degree in Sydney in a different field (commerce), not related to the nominated occupation for the visa 189. (I will only graduate at the end of this year and I am not claiming any points for it).
        When I’m at the Education part, I need to choose a ‘Qualification’ for my Postgrad studies in Australia.

Should I select ‘Master degree’ or ‘Other – Non AQF accreditation’?

It would make sense to select ‘Other – Non AQF accreditation’ since I’m not claiming any points, however, since AQF stands for Australian Qualification Framework, it made me doubt...

Thank you,
        Victor
      • By The Pom Queen

Special Interest Schools:

Music 
        Brighton Secondary
        Fremont-Elizabeth City High
        Marryatville High
        Woodville High

Agriculture
        Urrbrae High

Languages
        Adelaide High

Ignite Programs for Gifted Students
        The Heights
        Glenunga International
        Aberfoyle Park High

Dance/Drama
        Charles Campbell Secondary
        Golden Grove High

Sports and Physical Education
        Wirreanda High
        Henley High
        Wirreanda also coordinates the Southern Vales Physical Education and Sports Program involving Christies Beach High (aquatics), Morphett Vale (cycling) and Reynella East High (basketball and hockey)
        In addition, eight secondary schools in conjunction with the respective state sporting associations, have established special interest sports programs:
        Seaton High (baseball)
        Pasadena High (Basketball)
        Blackwood High (Netball)
        Marryatville High (Tennis)
        Brighton High (Volleyball)
        Heathfield High (Volleyball)
        Mount Gambier High (Cricket, Football and Netball - NB Australian Football that is!)

Single Sex Schools
        Gepps Cross Girls High
        Mitcham Girls High

Vocational Colleges
        Windsor Gardens Vocational College
        Souther Vocational College (at Christies Beach High)

Australian Science and Mathematics School (enrols students in years 10,11,12)

These were listed in the Govt brochure: If anybody knows any more, perhaps add them and then we can buld up a good list.