Moving with Teens? Suburb/School Consideration and Public Transpo

DavLT

Hi, moving this December (under 457), but still confused with narrowing down suburbs, primarily due to options for secondary schools. A lot of folks suggest the south east areas like Mount/Glen Waverley areas, however, of course, rent can shoot out pretty quickly there and we're looking for a 2-3BR for a fam of 3, the 3rd being a 13+yo teen.

Any feedback on finding schools for teens? We're not looking for "top academic" type of environment but those schools that can offer the most experiences for our kid.

Right now, Wantirna, Box Hill, MV areas are like the back-up, but we're a getting conflicting reviews on northern areas (Greensborough, Coolaroo, Bundoora, etc.)

Of course, safety and lack of gang proliferation is key.

CBD access isn't a major priority as long as there are nearby transport options as I'll be telecommuting.

Cheers.

I've just moved to the Mount Waverley area and I'm a bit of a fan. I've lived in a few suburbs around Melbourne over the years and I wish I'd moved here earlier but the truth is that when you get locked into schools you tend to stay put. The train line here is a real bonus as is the proximity of Monash Freeway and there's a good local shopping square as opposed to a shopping mall. What I would advise is don't be put off by an older house. They can look a bit daggy but they can be very comfortable and be a bit cheaper to rent.

• Like 1

We've just moved out of Croydon. We were in what's classed as Croydon North, it's a pretty big suburb. We liked it, rent is a bit cheaper than the suburbs closer in, like Box Hill where I worked, yet transport into the city is an easy train ride of around 45 minutes. Head out and the Dandenong Mountains are on your doorstep, as are the Yarra Valley wineries. Lovely country side and a choice of schools depending on whether you want to pay for Grammar or use the state option.

53 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

We've just moved out of Croydon. We were in what's classed as Croydon North, it's a pretty big suburb. We liked it, rent is a bit cheaper than the suburbs closer in, like Box Hill where I worked, yet transport into the city is an easy train ride of around 45 minutes. Head out and the Dandenong Mountains are on your doorstep, as are the Yarra Valley wineries. Lovely country side and a choice of schools depending on whether you want to pay for Grammar or use the state option.

Thanks for the info, why did you guys move?