Hey guys

team_27

So what's the enrolment process for our children once we have our 190 visa?

Have emailed so many schools but they are on school holidays so no replies.

Also we are moving to Macquarie fields as good schools with good facilities and infrastructure.

However would to have some personal feedback, I know about the 2006 riots.

But I want to know what it's like now from a families point of view we are in our late 30s and children are boys aged 9 and 14.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

There won't have been anyone at the schools until today (it is a teacher training day today, the kids start back tomorrow), so you may get some replies after tomorrow.  You will most likely have to wait until you get here to enrol though.  Assuming you are looking at state schools, the first thing you will need to do is find somewhere to live because you will need a permanent address to know which catchment you are in.  After that it is pretty much just a case of turning up to your catchment school with completed application forms, proof of address, birth certificates/passports and proof of your visa (and possibly vaccination details - it has been a while since I did it for my girls).  If you are in the catchment they have to find space.  If you aren't in the catchment and want to apply out of area, the school isn't obliged to offer a place unless they have the spaces available.  As soon as your children have been accepted they can start.

I'm not sure what the process is if you're looking at non-government schools though, although I would assume similar.  

I can't help with Macquarie Fields as it isn't an area that I know at all.

Find your rental, rock up to the local school with passports, visas, vaccination records and rental agreement in hand and your local school is obliged to take you.  They might ask you to wait a day or two so they can get classes organised but it's a simple process.  Macquarie Fields wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but take your time when you arrive, walk around the suburb, check out the neighbourhood, look at the amenities, watch the kids coming out of school etc before you go and sign a rental agreement.  The schools reflect the suburb so if you don't want to live in the suburb you won't want your kids to attend schools there.

• Like 1